Unusual spiral fracture in ABS cell core pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

wookie1234

Reaction score
The attached image is a piece of ABS that drains a sink in a motorhome. It drains to a waste tank so it would always drain dry. Summer heat could be high on a sunny day, but there would be no direct sunlight. The could have been some bending stress if it was glued together and the holding tank was adjusted up or down afterwards.

I don't have the manufacturer handy (image is from a colleague). I am primarily interested because I have never seen a pipe come apart like this and it makes me wonder if I should avoid coextruded / cellular ABS in buildings at all costs - even specify that it cannot be used for any purpose in tenders.

I have seen freeze damage that caused longitudinal splits but never something like this.

Any idea what causes fractures like this?

Attachments

• ABS spiral fracture 2.jpg
    ABS spiral fracture 2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 27
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks