Confused about pipe sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
Trying to hook up my well to a holding tank in my basement. My plan is to run 100 ft of 1 inch poly to the house. Then on the inside I thought about using 1 inch PEX for everything to tie into my manifold. I can't help but notice how much smaller 1 inch PEX is than 1 inch poly. And since I planned on all PEX inside, I started to wonder about the connection to my submersible in the tank. Should I use 1 inch poly that transitions to 1 inch PEX going into the pressure tank or would it be ok to use 1 inch PEX off the pump too?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Depends on how large your pump is. 1" poly is good for up to about 15 GPM, but you won't be able to put that much through 1" PEX.

water-sizing-chart-terrylove-40-60.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
I have a 10 gpm pump.

The total length of pipe from the pump to the water heater is around 30 ft. If I used poly just in the tank then I'm only knocking off 5 ft of PEX.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
So let's say I go ahead and use 1 inch PEX from the pump to the manifold, that's probably 20 ft of PEX. My hot water tank is 3 ft away from the manifold. I'll also have a water softener plumbed in there too. With a 10 gpm pump set to 50 psi pressure, should that supply my house ok? Think I can still run a dishwasher, laundry and take a shower at the same time?

Reach4

Reaction score
So let's say I go ahead and use 1 inch PEX from the pump to the manifold, that's probably 20 ft of PEX. My hot water tank is 3 ft away from the manifold. I'll also have a water softener plumbed in there too. With a 10 gpm pump set to 50 psi pressure, should that supply my house ok? Think I can still run a dishwasher, laundry and take a shower at the same time?
7 gpm would probably do that, so 10 gpm will too.

3/4 from the WH to the hot manifold would probably be better.

Brad Perkins

Reaction score
What's the issue with the water heater placement? 3 ft seems closer than average based on what I've seen.

Reach4

Reaction score
What's the issue with the water heater placement? 3 ft seems closer than average based on what I've seen.
Yes, 3 ft is good. At that distance, the amount of time it takes to get the lavatory water hot is going to be hardly affected. 1 inch pex holds about 3 gallons per 100 ft.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-tubing-technical-specs

Presuming 1.5 gpm from the lavatory faucet, using 3/4 instead of 1 inch only gets the hot water to the lavatory 3.24 seconds faster for the 3 ft. The long run of 1/2 is what will take the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks