Comp valve problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Armdroid

Reaction score
Just replaced old main to exterior spigot valve in utility room with a comp valve. I cut as little as I possibly could off on either side of the old valve and replaced it with a new compression valve but there wasn't enough copper for the ring to seal. Had a very difficult time trying to squeeze the 2 ends closer and maybe over-tightened to keep the pipes from pulling apart. It leaks when opened. Do I need to replace the whole valve or can I seal it with quiksteel epoxy putty or something? Not a plumber (obviously)- help asap please and tysm. Will try uploading a pic if post is too vague.

Attachments

• 20180501_013733.jpg
    20180501_013733.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 208

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber.

Leaking from the downstream connection? I would try tightening with a bigger wrench. I think you may need two big wrenches. It looks like you can put an open end wrench on the hex on the valve body.

Personally, I don't do as well with a pipe wrench as with a Milwaukee 48-22-7415.

If you can loosen the leaking end, I would use some Rectorseal #5 pipe compound inside around the ferrule and on threads. That will help lube to let things flow better. It will help the torque you can apply get more tightening. It may also offer a bit of sealing too. Silicone grease would also help your ability to torque to get things tighter.

Epoxy on the outside? Won't help.

Last edited:

BazMan25

Reaction score
Not a plumber, but forcing two pipes together to get your valve on sounds like an expensive learning opportunity. Listen to hj.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a plumber, but forcing two pipes together to get your valve on sounds like an expensive learning opportunity. Listen to hj.
I don't know that there is any way to overtighten a compression connector of that size with a common wrench, unless he has great strength. How big was the wrench? Given where he is now, more torque is called for. If that fails to stop the leaking, he can still do other things.

Armdroid

Reaction score
Tried tightening first since it sounded like an easy fix if that was the problem. Now it leaks on both sides of the valve. I'll take it apart and replace the rings. What's the best way to achieve making the pipe ends closer? Only need 1/8-3/8". Please advise asap.

Armdroid

Reaction score
You CANNOT do what you did. You have to take it apart and, using new rings, install it with the proper space between the two pipes.
I cut the pipes as close to the old valve as possible even though the new comp valve looked more than long enough. I knew what I was doing wasn't ideal but they seemed only a tad short. Do I cut the pipe more so I have room for coupling and short tubing piece? Doesn't seem like all this should even be necessary.

Reach4

Reaction score
Tried tightening first since it sounded like an easy fix if that was the problem. Now it leaks on both sides of the valve. I'll take it apart and replace the rings. What's the best way to achieve making the pipe ends closer? Only need 1/8-3/8". Please advise asap.

Why is there tension on the pipe? Can you change a clamp to remove that tension?

I would try adding rectorseal #5 and tightening with two big wrenches, or using silicone grease the same way. How big are your wrenches?

If you end up changing out the valve, consider solder. More foolproof IMO.

Armdroid

Reaction score
It's a tight spot and solder hates me. Were either not the case I'd probably have gone with that first to save a little on the cost. Using 2 adjustable wrenches -12"& 9". If it's tight enough, will the valve stop revolving on the pipe completely?

Armdroid

Reaction score
Why is there tension on the pipe? Can you change a clamp to remove that tension?

I would try adding rectorseal #5 and tightening with two big wrenches, or using silicone grease the same way. How big are your wrenches?

If you end up changing out the valve, consider solder. More foolproof IMO.

The pipe makes a right angle up into a joist bay so no, it won't move.

Armdroid

Reaction score
Thank you for all your time and help. Cranked on them a third time, this time like they owed me money, and so far almost nothing leaking.

Reach4

Reaction score
Glad it is much better. I would consider getting one of those Milwaukee 48-22-7415 wrenches, and turn almost nothing to nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks