commercial prep sink code

Users who are viewing this thread

bdubswim

Reaction score
We have two prep sinks located on a center island in a school kitchen. The vent/drain is looped. The new health inspector says we need a air gap on the drain that hasen't changed in 30 years. Can someone tell me the code and if we can just cut the drain pipe above the floor, and a inverted bell reducer and create the air gap without jack hammering the floor for a floor sink.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your inspector will be able to tell you that.

That may sound like a stupid answer, but it's so hard to tell what you can get by with.
I installed a dozen meat markets in the Puget Sound area for the same grocery chain.
I did use floor sinks on them.
They were all plumbed differently, based on what each local inspector wanted.
If you go for the bell reducer, I would go with a large one, at least a 4"x2" with some pipe above it so it doesn't overflow.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Health Codes not Uniform

I agree with Terry that health codes do not have the uniformity of our plumbing codes and that you have to check with the health inspector. Every jurisdiction seems to tweak their own local code. On the face of it it seems you should be able to create the air gap as you describe. However what drain it goes to is also a difference. I presume you have a seperate grease drainage system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks