Choosing a rear discharge/wall hung toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

CanAmSteve

Reaction score
I'm adding a ground floor bathroom over a slab in a cottage in Maine. In order to make the shower/tub drains work with a new toilet, I want to keep the vertical distance between where the the toilet drain and the shower drain connect to the soil stack as large (far apart vertically) as possible. I can't use a standard floor flange toilet without major concrete breaking. However, a rear-discharge or wall hung toilet option is workable.

Most of the rear-discharge toilets I've looked at online appear to be 4" rough-in above finished floor. They also appear to be rather "institutional" in their appearance. The wall-hung units are more attractive (and not all that much more expensive) but the waste rough-in seems to vary considerably from one brand to the next.

Can anyone recommend a good-quality wall-hung toilet that has a waste rough-in as high off the floor as possible? Some Geberit models, for example, appear to offer a range mounting heights, which gives a range of of 7 to 11" for the discharge height. Many thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your floor mounted, rear discharge models rough at 4" to 4-1/4" off the finished floor with a bowl height of 16-1/8"
The Gerber Maxwell wall hung roughed at 4.25" has a bowl height of 16-1/8" and the American Standard Glenwall at 14.5"
The Geberit in-wall tank with mounting has a variable rough, but if you use that, make sure the bowl is within the range you want to use. I've followed other plumbers that had set them so that the bowls were over 20" off the ground. It's like you need a ladder to use them.

For sure the Geberit and the TOTO in-wall systems look nice.

gerber_20_021_zoom_terry.jpg

CanAmSteve

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Very helpful and a good warning - I'm tall but the wife would not be too pleased with a "cliffhanger" setup :) Looks like the Geberit in-wall will be the way to go. I will need to confirm the waste pipe can go straight back into wye (with a cleanout) and then slope horizontally to my drain, and not the immediate right angle down as shown in the photos of the wall units.

I see some in-wall units have extra bracing that might get in the way, but I think those are the 2X4 wall models, and as this is all-new, I can easily use 2X6 walls. I will try and attach a photo of a unit that I think will work

geberit.jpg

SomeGuyRob

Reaction score
Hey did you ever complete your project with the Geberit? I'm wondering how much floor clearance you were able to get without a crazy high toilet placement. I have the same issue with a new bathroom I want to put in my basement. The main sewage runs along the floor so was hoping to just use a wall moiunted s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks