Check a rough bath plan, please

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Obviously there are details to figure out, but am I on the right track? Thanks!
master bath plumbing-plan.jpg
master bath plumbing-iso.jpg

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Would I have a better chance of getting some help if I simplified my question a bit? I realize this is asking for a lot of help and there is probably a lot wrong with this...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shower gets vented before entering a line with the toilet.
The toilet needs a vent before the washer hits that line.
The washer can't wet vent anything.

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Thanks! Probably a dumb question, but is the red vent here not a dry vent? I thought it was since water would never pass through it. Pax.
master bath plumbing-iso2.jpg

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Here I think I've fixed the washer drain. Does the 1.5" vent on the small lav count as a wet vent for the shower? Or do I still need to vent the shower?

master bath plumbing-iso3.jpg

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Here I think I've fixed the washer drain. Does the 1.5" vent on the small lav count as a wet vent for the shower? Or do I still need to vent the shower?

I still need to vent the shower, because you can't have a toilet upstream of a wet vent (I think).

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would I have a better chance of getting some help if I simplified my question a bit? I realize this is asking for a lot of help and there is probably a lot wrong with this...

1. Orient your floor plan so it's going the same direction as your plumbing plan. Include ALL the fixtures and LABEL them properly.
2. Draw a dotted line on your floor plan where the existing drain line is that you intend to tie into, also size.
3. Is this on the first floor?
4. What material is the floor made out of? crawl space ?, concrete ?
5. Can a vent go through the roof anywhere on your floor plan?

If you do this it's a lot easier for people to help you.

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
1. Orient your floor plan so it's going the same direction as your plumbing plan. Include ALL the fixtures and LABEL them properly.
2. Draw a dotted line on your floor plan where the existing drain line is that you intend to tie into, also size.
3. Is this on the first floor?
4. What material is the floor made out of? crawl space ?, concrete ?
5. Can a vent go through the roof anywhere on your floor plan?

Quick answers to your questions (with a better drawing soon):

This is a second floor addition that will drain with 3" pipe down to the main floor bathroom drain, connecting into a 3" stack. The second floor addition is not directly above the main floor (it's above an added garage adjacent to the first floor bathroom). The fixtures on the first floor were vented through the original waste stack, but I'll separately vent them through the roof. Both floors are plywood on joists. The main floor is above a finished basement and has 2x10 joists. The addition is above a garage with tall ceilings, space isn't much of a problem. Yes, the vent can go anywhere through the roof on the floor plan.

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
This perspective view has the same position as the plumbing plan, so it might make things a little clearer... but I'll still try and improve the drawing.

bathroom closet design - perspecive floor plan.jpg

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you planning on running the drains under the floor joist's or inside them? If your planning on running them under then it's a walk in the park.

Scott Olsson

Reaction score
Are you planning on running the drains under the floor joist's or inside them? If your planning on running them under then it's a walk in the park.

That's what I want to hear! They are going under the joists for the addition. The pipes on the main floor will stay between the joists, but there isn't much to do there. Pax.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe this should work. I would think about running the washer drain in 3" but I'm a natural over builder. if Terry doesn't make any corrections then your good to go.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 162

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm an over builder too. Does 3" make it drain appreciably better or just decrease the chance of a clog?

I just thought since your washer is on the second floor you don't want to take the chance that the drain won't keep up with the washer discharge.
But it's your call.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks