Cast Iron Shower Base

Users who are viewing this thread

isonychia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a cast iron shower base for a new bathroom install.
I was advised to choose cast iron over acrylic.

So far I cannot find one in the dimensions I need, 48" x 32" or 48" x 34".
Kohler only makes 48" x 36".

Anyone have opinions on other reputable brands to consider?

I found a company called Kaldewei that makes an enameled steel version but I don't know anything about them.

Any other options or directions I should consider?

Thanks for any help.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's too bad the Kohler Cast Iron pans are 48" is 36" wide.
Their 60" pans are 30", 32" 34" and 36"

I don't see a problem going with acrylic though.

isonychia

Reaction score
It's too bad the Kohler Cast Iron pans are 48" is 36" wide.
Their 60" pans are 30", 32" 34" and 36"

I don't see a problem going with acrylic though.
Thanks Terry.
My contractor is suggesting the cast iron because I guess the acrylics don’t perform as well, flex etc. and the cast irons are solid and rarely have issues.

I’m wondering how the cost of a cast iron pan, about $1,000 compares to a traditional mud pan or those kerdi systems. Any opinions?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Acrylic will never be as robust as a cast iron pan, but that doesn't mean it can't function well. The key to using an acrylic pan is to properly bed it. That often requires some cement based products underneath it to level it, and to provide good support. Some manufacturers call for that as optional, but IMHO, it's really required in a good install.

But, many people prefer the look of a fully tiled shower. There are numerous ways to make one successfully, as described in the TCNA handbook (the industry bible - if your tiler doesn't know what that is, you might want to find another one!). Any of those methods, properly done, will produce a reliable, long-lasting shower. Of the many methods, I prefer a sheet membrane, of which, Kerdi is one. A sheet membrane can be installed over one of their preformed pans, or you can make the pan out of deck mud, and cover it yourself to meet any size you want. The advantage of a surface membrane is that the ENTIRE shower, pan AND walls, is waterproof, right beneath the tile. A conventional shower typically only has water RESISTANT walls, but because they're vertical, there's very little to drive the water through them, and that's taken care of with a proper build. Neither tile nor grout is considered waterproofing...it is the decorative wear surface. For $1000 in just the cast iron pan, the difference in costs between that pan and something like Kerdi, IF the installer has been trained with its use, shouldn't be an issue. He might save a day in the install, but that time can be used to work on other things. You need to wait at least 24-hours after applying the Kerdi before you can flood-test it, and that should be part of any install.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks