Can I turn my laundry room into wet room shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

rozemary

Reaction score
I need a temporary, accessible shower downstairs. I have a small laundry room with a floor drain and hot & cold water taps. Would this drain be adequate to use as a shower drain? The house is on a slab, so I'd like to avoid any jackhammering. I have a very limited budget. I would appreciate any advice or ideas.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unlikely...sorry. Concrete is not waterproof, but is not damaged by becoming wet. That floor may or may not be sloped, but that's the least of the issues. Moisture wicking into the walls can create lots of damage.

rozemary

Reaction score
Unlikely...sorry. Concrete is not waterproof, but is not damaged by becoming wet. That floor may or may not be sloped, but that's the least of the issues. Moisture wicking into the walls can create lots of damage.

Thank you for your reply!

My need is for an, "ADA" type accessible shower downstairs for an elderly relative moving in who can't use the stairs.

The laundry room is a pass-through from the house to the garage. The family will be walking through the "shower room" to access the garage.

It's the only place/solution I can think of to add a shower. I was hoping that the drain would be adequate—in plumbing standards—to use as a shower drain. The floor is slightly sloped towards the drain.

Like I mentioned, I have a very limited budget, so I'd like to avoid any jackhammering to add another drain. I'm hoping to have a contractor friend install a hand-held type shower. (That's about all I afford him to do)

I plan on waterproofing the walls (somehow—researching that) and adding a curtain. I'm also researching how to block water from going under the doors, if needed.—I've seen rubber barriers you can adhere to the floor.

Again, my main concern is that the drain will work fast enough as a shower drain. I guess I can experiment with a hose and see if it will work.

Thanks again for your reply. If you think of anything else that might help, please chime in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Neither tile nor grout is waterproof. You need a waterproof liner beneath the tile and at least part way up the walls. It would be very rare for that room to be built that way. The moisture would wick into the concrete below and into the walls and destroy it over time if it didn't attract ants or termites first, doing the same thing.

If you could afford the height gain,you might use a sheet membrane over it then up the walls, but that would require a new drain to make the connection. This assumes the floor has the right slope, which is also doubtful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks