Can I temporarily replace a leaking 32 gallon pressure tank with a smaller tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

naturegirl

Reaction score
My Myers MPD31 hydro-pneumatic 32 gallon pressure tank sprung a leak yesterday and needs to be replaced. I already bought a replacement unit but found out at home that its diameter is too wide for the spot where it is supposed to be installed. Unfortunately I won't be able to get a fitting unit today, as the big box stores don't have the diameter/size unit.
This situation comes at a bad time, as I am accommodating guests right now who are without running water. That's why I have to come up with a quick compromise solution for the meantime.
I was planning to install a water pump system on a campsite on my property to provide it with water from the adjacent creek. For this set up I intend to use a 2 gallon pressure tank, that I could acquire immediately & locally.
My question is: Can I use the small unit as an interim solution for the water supply inside my home until I can get the 32 gallon tank on monday? My main concern is for my well-pump. Do you have any recommendations on which small water tank to buy? What do I have to know or keep in mind to make this work?

Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is kind of an emergency situation.
Thank you very much,
naturegirl

Reach4

Reaction score
If the leak is internal, the quick temporary solution is to pump air into the failed tank. It will take at least a few days for the air to dissolve away. That gives you your temporary relief.

If the leak is external and considerable, that is not going to help.

Your temporary solution with creek water will work better with a smaller pump to go with your smaller pressure tank. When you use water, try to use a lot of water (high flow) rather than stretching out the water use.

Last edited:

naturegirl

Reaction score
If the leak is internal, the quick temporary solution is to pump air into the failed tank. It will take at least a few days for the air to dissolve away. That gives you your temporary relief.

If the leak is external and considerable, that is not going to help.

Your temporary solution with creek water will work better with a smaller pump to go with your smaller pressure tank. When you use water, try to use a lot of water (high flow) rather than stretching out the water use.

Hey Reach4, thanks for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately the leak is big and external, so I don't think I can pump air into the tank.
Regarding the smaller pressure tank: My thought was that I could actually install it in place of the 32 gallon one for a day or two, not use the creek water in my house. Do you think that could work?
Thanks again, I appreciate the reply!

Reach4

Reaction score
Regarding the smaller pressure tank: My thought was that I could actually install it in place of the 32 gallon one for a day or two, not use the creek water in my house. Do you think that could work?
If you can can install a 2 gallon tank, why can't you get a bigger tank? It's not like you are 200 miles from nowhere, and the general store only has that one tank available.

If you must do that very undersized tank, when you flush a toilet, also turn on the water to the tub. When you have enough water in the tub, use a bucket to flush the toilet.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My Myers MPD31 hydro-pneumatic 32 gallon pressure tank
Are you sure it is hydro-pneumatic and not a diaphragm type tank? You generally don't want to mix the two as an HP tank normally has an air-maker system that a bladder tank cannot manage.

naturegirl

Reaction score
If you can can install a 2 gallon tank, why can't you get a bigger tank? It's not like you are 200 miles from nowhere, and the general store only has that one tank available.

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem is that all stores I can reach only have the unit that I already bought (the one with the wrong dimensions), or bigger.

Are you sure it is hydro-pneumatic and not a diaphragm type tank? You generally don't want to mix the two as an HP tank normally has an air-maker system that a bladder tank cannot manage.
I might have mixed those up, the unit I have is a diaphragm type tank (MPD31).

Reach4

Reaction score
Suppose you put your big tank in the yard nearby. You run a pipe to it, and extend the wires so that the pressure switch can be in the yard with the big tank. The pipe could be polyethylene, PEX, or other material. The pressure switch should be close to the pressure tank.

Also, how close is the new tank to fitting through the door? If it is close, consider removing the door and maybe even the door frame, to get the new tank into position.

naturegirl

Reaction score
Suppose you put your big tank in the yard nearby. You run a pipe to it, and extend the wires so that the pressure switch can be in the yard with the big tank. The pipe could be polyethylene, PEX, or other material. The pressure switch should be close to the pressure tank.

Also, how close is the new tank to fitting through the door? If it is close, consider removing the door and maybe even the door frame, to get the new tank into position.

The issue is not the size of the door, but the spot inside my house where the unit is supposed to go. The problem with using the bigger tank outside in the yard is, that I don't want to keep the unit and won't be able to return it once I had it in use.

You would help me greatly if you could tell me whether using the smaller tank could work for the meantime or if that is not even a possibility/could damage to my well pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
You would help me greatly if you could tell me whether using the smaller tank could work for the meantime or if that is not even a possibility/could damage to my well pump.
I cannot help you with that. I am not a pro, and I would worry about the pump.

If you did the think where you use a lot of water while the pump is on, then the pump should be fine. So I am saying open the tub spigot, turn on the pump, and refill the toilet. Then turn off the pump. With that kind of action, you could have no pressure tank. Keep the power to the pump manually controlled.

What can you tell us about the pump?

naturegirl

Reaction score
I cannot help you with that. I am not a pro, and I would worry about the pump.
Alright, thank you for suggestions! Maybe somebody else will chime in.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the second part of your reply. That is a good idea to get water to the toilets. Unfortunately I don't have access to the information about the pump right now. All I can tell you is that my well is 125 feet deep and provides water for a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom home. I don't know if this will help, but that's all I got.

Last edited:

naturegirl

Reaction score
With your limited space, a CSV could be useful. The Pside-kick has a CSV, tank, and pressure switch as a combo. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/prod_psidekick.html

I don't know how quickly you could get that.
I read up on that last night. I'm not really acquainted with the technology, but am intrigued. Do you have any experience with the CSV? Is it only sold by the manufacturer or can you get it elsewhere as well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yes you can use the little tank for temporary use. The pump will just cycle on and off rapidly until you get a larger tank and/or a CSV. A 32 gallon tank only holds 8 gallons of water, so the pump was already cycling pretty fast. Usually "normal" cycling on/off is what destroys the bladder in the tank. Then when the bladder is bad, rapid cycling finishes off the pump. I would want a tank much larger than 32 gallon size unless a CSV is used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks