Can I remove this vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

BlakeDIY

Reaction score
We are remodeling our jack and Jill bathroom and during demo found that I have two 2" vent pipes for the same bathroom. One is coming out of the concrete slab then 45 ing into the wall behind the vanity and going out the roof and I really need to know if I can cut this one off and cap it so that I can tile over it. The other vent pipe is just 2 feet to left and also goes out the roof. Seems like overkill to have two 2" vent pipes for the same bathroom according to everything I've been reading. I have pics to show as well.

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_2777.JPG
    IMG_2777.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,680
  • IMG_2778.JPG
    IMG_2778.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,901

Stuff

Reaction score
The vent on the right is most likely for the tub and possibly toilet. No easy way to remove it so plan on building a half wall around it.

BlakeDIY

Reaction score
The vent on the right is most likely for the tub and possibly toilet. No easy way to remove it so plan on building a half wall around it.

Well it was already in a half wall and we tore it out. I will either cut it out and cap it so I can just tile over the capped pipe. Or I can worst case scenario get a concrete saw and get under the slab and re-route the pipe to come up through the studs and then out the roof. building another half wall in there is really not an option. (To my wonderful wife) :)

Stuff

Reaction score
Well it was already in a half wall and we tore it out. I will either cut it out and cap it so I can just tile over the capped pipe. Or I can worst case scenario get a concrete saw and get under the slab and re-route the pipe to come up through the studs and then out the roof. building another half wall in there is really not an option. (To my wonderful wife) :)
If you just cap it you loose the vent's function. Without that flushing the toilet can suck the bathtub trap dry. Then your nice new bathroom will smell like a septic tank.

BlakeDIY

Reaction score
I'm not super familiar with plumbing other than what I've been reading recently. So the smell would still happen even though I still would have the other vent pipe in the same bathroom? I was reading where some homes only have one 4" vent pipe for the whole house and I have two 2" vents for each of my three bathrooms with a total of 9 vents in my house. Seems like the other vent pipe to the left should still be able to get air to the toilet and tub since it is so close.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A lot depends on how the pipes are configured. A plumber at one time thought that you needed that vent, and the inspector looked at the job too.
What a neighbor says he did may not apply in your situation. Vents prevent traps from siphoning. We have no idea what lays below the concrete.
I have been in home with dry traps, and it's a horrible smell. You might mention that. A horrible sewer gas smell, with health implications.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks