Burried 1.25 I.D. PE pipe connections

Users who are viewing this thread

strikebd

Reaction score
I am replacing a portion of the well water line coming into the house, as it had a leak. What fitting is best to leave burried; brass, steel, or plastic? (Barbed coupler)

Thank you!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It should not matter but I'd avoid steel simply because they might build up rust on the inside. Any buried metal should be well wrapped with electrical tape.

More important is to only use all SS gear clamps. The cheap ones are not SS on the worm gear.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It should not matter but I'd avoid steel simply because they might build up rust on the inside. Any buried metal should be well wrapped with electrical tape.

More important is to only use all SS gear clamps. The cheap ones are not SS on the worm gear.

Yeah and wrap the gear clamps with electric tape as well.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd only use brass and I've never, ever seen anyone wrap tape around a clamp used underground.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think "best materials" are hard to come by these days. You really never know what you are getting any more. Companies are bought and sold. Materials are changed without notice. Nobody knew they changed the material until they start seeing failures. Then the manufacturer says, "you are the only one having that problem". Yeah right!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Seen it many times myself. I can't tell the good ones from the bad ones, so I just tape everyone I come across.

Here is one I would never bother to tape for $1.29

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Stain...8-15&keywords=hose+clamps+all+stainless+steel
611kAirUlyL._SL1113_.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks