Removing Yard Hydrant

Users who are viewing this thread

KennyG

Reaction score
Hello,

So my home builders required me to put in a yard hydrant connected to my well as a water source due to local codes before the build could begin. Once the foundation was completed and the home was framed my land prep guy came in and put in a Tee to stub a poly pipe to the crawl space. The hydrant still needed to be operational so it was left.

I am now at the phase that I need to put in my pressure tank and my hydrant will be useless once thats all connected since it doesnt have a line coming from the house.

Im afraid to take off the tee and put in a 90 degree barb fitting because I wont have enough slack in either direction. So what is the best way to remove the yard hydrant and cap off the poly pipe? Cut it down as close to the tee fitting and just cap off the poly pipe with a barb fitting and stainless steel cap? Or is there a way to replace the tee when I have no slack in the poly pipe?

20231211_020756.jpg

bingow

Reaction score
Hello, ...
...I am now at the phase that I need to put in my pressure tank and my hydrant will be useless once thats all connected since it doesnt have a line coming from the house.
DIYer here, with water well and yard hydrant tee'd off the pressure tank. Is it your plan to remove the hydrant because you don't want it? Don't understand why the tee needs to be removed, whether you keep the hydrant or not.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One way to do it would be to build a longer 90 from a brass threaded elbow with brass threaded poly insert fittings.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you cut the pipe near the tee, you could stick a plug into the pipe stub, and use a stainless worm gear clamp. I don't know how short the stub would need to be to avoid a dead leg. https://www.zoro.com/search?q=PVC Straight Plug, Insert&fqc:category=z3/33/4606/5774

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well and plumbing sanitizing write-up.

A yard hydrant could still be useful. Its job is to supply water outside of the house. Some have a provision for a padlock.

KennyG

Reaction score
How would the hydrant function if it does not have a dedicated line from the pressure tank like my spigots off the house? Its connected to the main water line from the well before the pressure tank.

Thank you for the replies and yea I was worried about a dead leg and stagnant water

bingow

Reaction score
The pressure tank pressurizes all lines connected, through tees or dedicated lines. For example, in your sketch, if you tee'd a new line immediately off the well, that new line woild be pressurized same as all others.

Edit: the exception of course would be if a new line were past a check valve.

Last edited:

KennyG

Reaction score
The pressure tank pressurizes all lines connected, through tees or dedicated lies. For example, in your sketch, if you tee'd a new line immediately off the well, that new line woild be pressurized same as all others.

Edit: the exception of course would be if a new line were past a check valve.
Yea I was planning on putting a check valve at the pressure tank but after more research I see that it's not needed especially with my 70 foot well. I will just rely on the one in the well.
So there's no chance of the hydrant pulling water out of the home when running? Since it's further ahead than the tee to the pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. I would say "not wanted" instead of not needed.
2. "So there's no chance of the hydrant pulling water out of the home when running? " If you use the yard hydrant, water will come out and that water will be from the pressure tank until the pump turns on. But the order of things will not matter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
How would the hydrant function if it does not have a dedicated line from the pressure tank like my spigots off the house? Its connected to the main water line from the well before the pressure tank.

Thank you for the replies and yea I was worried about a dead leg and stagnant water
The hydrant will work just fine as long as you do not add a check valve at the tank. You do not want a check valve at the tank anyway, as the one on the submersible pump is the only one needed in the system.

It doesn't matter where the hydrants or taps in the line are located. What matters is that when using water for long periods of time like showers or sprinklers, that the pump does not cycle on and off repeatedly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks