Bubbling toilet but only sometimes

Users who are viewing this thread

vbaldy9007

Reaction score
Hi, we bought our house six months ago, and it is on a septic tank system. Home was built in the late 1980s, and both toilets work well 99 percent of the time. We received a clear septic tank letter at the closing. But sometimes when I flush the toilets the water goes around and around and rises too high, then slowly drops back down but does not flush. Another scenario is sometimes when I flush the toilet in the master bathroom, the other toilet gurgles and bubbles on its own and the water level in the bowl drops way down.

We turned off the water to the toilets and when the local plumber came, they turned the water back on, ran the water in the sink and the tub, and successfully flushed both toilets, which worked like a charm. Then a couple of weeks later after they had been flushing like champs, it happened again. I did what the plumber did and both toilets were immediately right as rain. This is an on again off again issue. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Don't know if it is a water pressure issue or if there is a blockage or partial blockage issue.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does it happen more often after a significant rainstorm?

It sounds like either there's a line that's partially plugged, or the septic system is waterlogged.

Does it happen more often after say doing laundry or a long shower or emptying the tub?

vbaldy9007

Reaction score
Does it happen more often after a significant rainstorm?

It sounds like either there's a line that's partially plugged, or the septic system is waterlogged.

Does it happen more often after say doing laundry or a long shower or emptying the tub?

Never any problem when the laundry is going or taking a shower, but may be related to the heavy rain. Immediately after a rainstorm the toilets acted finicky again yesterday, but now they are okay. What do we do about a waterlogged septic system? Wait until it dries out?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When the system is installed, in most places, they require what is called a perc test...effectively, they dig a hole, pour water in it and see how long it takes to get absorbed, thus the percolation rate. If the area is low, and gets saturated, that implies the water table may be high. Not sure what can really be done about that. On some systems, they literally build up the area so it is further above the water table. That can get expensive and potentially unsightly. If the lot is sloped, it might take moving the whole thing, which, again, can get expensive. I'm not the one to give you the possible options...I just don't know more. If it's saturated, it can't drain.

FWIW, a septic tank is normally full...any new stuff forces some out after settlement of the solids. If the leach field is saturated, there's no place for it to go.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks