Boiler leaking through side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Kaspars

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

I'll be short: I'm not very knowledgeable in the boiler side of things, although I'm technically inclined and am reading up on boilers as we speak.

I have an acute problem, that I have to fix miself due to budgeting issues - I can't afford to change the boiler or anything of the sort.
Look at this image:

boiler-leaking.jpg

You may notice the small rusty bottom region - I've noticed the boiler is leaking there, quite rapidly so - right now averaging around 1 drop/sec. I'm guessing the water is seeping through the sides.

Now I doubt I can fully fix the problem, but I have to postpone it somehow, even if just for a few months. The question is, how idiotic an idea is just gluing the leak off (with epoxy resin or something)? As I'm not an expert in this field, I was hoping someone here could tell me if I'm risking something horrible.

I totally understand that it's not a long term solution, but it sure as hell is cheap and may postpone the problem long enough for a better option to become available.

Here's all the information I could read from the boiler side, in case that's useful and easy to parse. Some I couldn't read, as it has eroded off:
ariston
MPa 0,8(bar8) 195
modPRO ECO 1(6)0 h 1,8K PL
Fe+enamel
vv1800 v~230 50/60 hz ipx1

I'll be most grateful for any tips and ideas.
Cheers!
-Kaspars.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Cannot make sence of the picture. Is it upright, on the floor, on the wall, on the ceiling? Need more pictures with a wider view.

Looks like that is a doorway below, this could be just the expansion tank. If it is look at the inlet pipe from the boiler, it could be leaking from there. It doesn't look like it is coming from the seam. The rust is nothing more than surface rust.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Couldn't tell what type of boiler your picture shows. Tried to find a manual on your boiler but couldn't. Maybe some pictures would help and is this boiler for heating only or for domestic hot water.
https://www.freeboilermanuals.com/ariston/

Kaspars is using the UK dialect meaning of "boiler", which in North American versions of English is called "water heater". The Ariston Pro Eco page lives here. On this side of the Atlantic "boiler" refers primarily to space heating equipment, not potable water heating.

426_n_PRO-ECO_web.jpg

I doubt it's possible to repair leaks in this tank (UK dialect: "cylinder") type water heater.

Kaspars

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the replies!

Dana has got it right, it's a water heater as per the US custom, sorry for confusing you all. I even confused myself while trying to search the internet for answers. Is this, then, the wrong place to have posted the question?
Dana: So, then, am I screwed and just definitely have to change it?

WorthFlorida: It's mounted sideways on the wall near the ceiling, here's a better picture: https://ibb.co/DDkNf8R

I highly doubt it's condensation - it's too rapid, and it is my understanding that condensation typically occurs on surfaces colder than the surroundings. Instead, this is at ambient temperature or slightly warmer in some places.
Furthermore, the place it's leaking from has revealed itself: https://ibb.co/7GGz05W. You may notice the vertical rust line that wasn't there before. So it's leaking somewhere between the metal and plastic cover-material-thing. Unfortunately, seeing this location makes even me doubtful I can fix it.

[EDIT: I unscrewed the plastic cover. Here's a picture of the insides: https://ibb.co/7SrgCsm
I imagine I'll try to drain the tank, unscrew the bolts and see if there's anything obvious going on.]

Anyway, thanks for the replies! If someone has a valuable insight, I'd be happy to hear it. Until then, I'll have to try and save for a new boiler.

Have a nice day!
-Kaspars.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Looks like a simple gasket replacement. It is a bit unusual that a WH can be mounted sideways.
I was suggesting condensation since many water heaters are in basements and this time of the year the basements temperatures are still very cool from the winter and warm spring air, usually with more humidity, enters the space.

Kaspars

Reaction score
fitter30: I believe 120 or so.
Anyway, I'm going to try and fix it this weekend and I'll update you all on how that goes then.
Thanks again for all the responses!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks