Water leaking in back of kitchen cabinet and through exteior wall, Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dillon775

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am looking for some guidance on how to approach an unexpected plumbing problem...So that past few days I started noticing a little bit of water in the middle of the kitchen floor, I checked the sink to see if it had been leaking and when I saw that it wasn't I just assumed that my dog who is the most reckless water drinker on this earth probably was the cause of the mysterious puddle.

Fast forward to today, and I notice the puddle again and it is much larger this time, and I can see that it is actually coming from the wall behind a kitchen cabinet drawer I notice that indeed water is leaking in from that bottom drawer, not the drawer above it nor the one next to it. As I am investigating further I go outside directly on the other side of the wall from the leaking drawer I find that the.... cleanout plug(?) looks to be leaking as well. So now whenever the sink drains it leaks,.....I don't know what to do!

*Like damn near everyone else in the country I am unemployed due to the pandemic, and since I am self-employed Unemployment Insurance still isn't available in my state and I ran out of money a week ago, I can't afford to pay someone to fix this so I am going to have to fix it myself and I am no handyman, If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be eternally grateful and if there is any more information or pictures that I should provide let me know!

*Apologies for the unrelated tangent needed to vent a little. Thanks for reading,

Mn8ZX8S.jpg

YjbbcKP.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It looks like the plug is cast iron. It looks like the house may be 50-60 years or more old from the type of siding on it. The cast iron pipes can last a very long time...longer than my estimate, but, depending on how it's used and what you drain down there, it can rot out much sooner.

Hard to say without some more looking, but you may need to replace some of that pipe. You might get a better idea if you remove the cleanout plug and can look in there. Be forewarned, though, it will probably take a big wrench, and things might just break off in the process. At the minimum, to get back to where you are, you'd need some pipe dope to put on the threads if you can screw it back in. Or, maybe use a new plug. That assumes the pipe doesn't just shear off when removing the plug. A good shot of PBlaster might help clean and lubricate the plug so you can get it out.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect there may be at least two problems. One is that there is a clog in your pipes. The pipes need cleaning with a snake. That cleanout outside would be a good place. I don't know how you will do that without spending some money, at least for a snake. Bigger is better.

So the water in the drain had to rise to that cleanout, and exert pressure. The cap leaks, which might be solved with some PTFE tape and/or a new cap.

Then there is the hard one. How does that water get into that bottom drawer? Is it coming from another leak on a drain line?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks