Burnham V73T Leak Information Needed

Users who are viewing this thread

pkovo

Reaction score
The boiler started leaking some time during the night last night. Noticed a small puddle today. The tankless water feature of this boiler is not used so it has a rectangular cover plate over that spot with 8 bolts. The leak was very clearly coming from one of those bolts. I assumed the gasket likely just failed at/near that bolt. To my surprise all 8 bolts are all free and turn easily, so i ordered a gasket to be delivered tomorrow, but a drip pan under it and went to work.

Now after closer inspection I don't think a gasket will solve my problems. I took off the side cover and it appears I have a crack in the casting alongside of where that particular bolt is. Seems like a strange place to have a crack to me, but I know very little about boilers.

This boiler has been in service since the late 90's I believe, and from what I've read these were plagued with cracked blocks...something about the metal being too thin. Anyway, I'm probably lucky mine has been fine for so long, but I would like to fix it if at all possible, even if the repair is just a temporary measure to buy some time.

Although we currently use oil, they just ran gas to my area of the neighborhood. I am having a line to my house in the near-term. Plan was for the dryer and oven/stove to start, and I hadn't decided yet what to do with the heat. I figured we would have the line run to the house and get hooked up for the other stuff first, then if/when we were ready to replace the boiler we would decide how o handle the heat. If I have to replace the boiler now in a hurry, that plan sort of goes out the window.

So long story short, can I fix this? If so what the best approach. I read about some sealers that can be run through the system. Also thought maybe there is some type of JB Weld or Epoxy used for this type of thing? Are these ever welded?

Also, if fixing it is a no-go, any boilers designed to work equally well using oil or gas as the fuel?

Although I could probably make due without heat for a while given the season change, I get my hot water from the boiler through an indirect tank on it's own heating zone. I might even be willing to try cold showers for a while, but not sure my wife and three daughters would be on board with that :)

Any advice is appreciated.

pkovo

Reaction score
Since they say a picture is worth 1000 words…

1AAC7A24-E97C-40D7-8373-5E0F8E5BC78D.jpeg

Fitter30

Reaction score
It's a sectional boiler with slip nipples between section making the sections water tight to one another. Boiler being over 23 years might not be a section available.
Guessing crack is in the first section return side. If so what water temp were you running? My guess under 130° return. The majority of cracks are caused by thermal shock from cold return temperature.

pkovo

Reaction score
I dont know what the return temp is, not sure how I could tell, but I’ve not changed the temp settings on the aquastat myself. I changed the aquastat years ago, but just put in an exact replacement set the same as the original.

The crack isn’t between the sections. The crack is on the flange where the blank cover for the indirect hot water coils would be. Its right along the side of where one of where the bolts is (first pic). I guess I’ll drain it down and get a better look when I get a break from work.

I know this thing is at the end of it’s life, but would like to limp it along until I’ve got my gas hookup and have decided which way to go with heat.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nah man you're better off just letting it drip. Unless you know a welder that had the skills and know how to weld it. Welding cast iron isn't normally done so the second option likley isn't an option.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks