Biological growth.

Users who are viewing this thread

robwithtoast

Reaction score
Hello I just purchased a new home. This well water thug is new to me. I started to notice a build up on valve screens such as my inlet valve, shower head screen. I have to take them out and clean them and all is good after. The build up is black and reminds me of an algae build up. I'm not sure what to do to remove this. Would chlorine be the best option?

Reach4

Reaction score
I like chlorine and vinegar for kill power, but the soap sounds interesting too.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my write-up for sanitizing a bottom-feeding deep well and house plumbing. You might find something you could adapt to your situation.

For shallow wells in particular, a UV sterilizer would keep new living stuff from passing that point in your pipes.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yep, use a low sudsing dishwasher soap.

The theory is that the soap will cut through bacterial growth like the way it will cut through food stuck to a dish or pan. Once through the slime the chlorine can do its thing. Vinegar will reduce the pH and make chlorine more effective.

robwithtoast

Reaction score
Yep, use a low sudsing dishwasher soap.

The theory is that the soap will cut through bacterial growth like the way it will cut through food stuck to a dish or pan. Once through the slime the chlorine can do its thing. Vinegar will reduce the pH and make chlorine more effective.
Perfect. Is there a ratio or an amount I should use?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't recall what it is, but if you contact Cotey Chemical in Lubbock Texas they may be able to tell you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks