Best way to give wire coming out of wall a finished look?

Users who are viewing this thread

Studly

Reaction score
I'll be working on installing LED under-cabinet lights in our kitchen, and I have to fish electrical wire up an insulated wall and into the back of a kitchen cabinet, where I will connect it to the LED driver/transformer/power supply that I'll mount in the back of the cabinet. I won't have an outlet there ... just a wire coming out of the wall going to the driver.

I don't want to just have a hole in the back of the cabinet and drywall where the wire comes out, so what's the best way to give that a more finished look? Should I install a small single-gang electrical box there and is there some kind of face plate you can buy that has a hole for a wire coming out of the wall? Is there something easier so I wouldn't need an electrical box?

Any ideas would be welcomed!

Stuff

Reaction score
Mount a receptacle if at all possible. Otherwise look in the accessories area of a big box store. They have special plates for when you mount a TV high on the wall and fish the cables down low.

Studly

Reaction score
Mount a receptacle if at all possible. Otherwise look in the accessories area of a big box store. They have special plates for when you mount a TV high on the wall and fish the cables down low.
Thanks for the tip! I like the idea on the plate. Otherwise, would have to cut out a lot of wood in the back of the cabinet to fit a receptacle in there.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
With the right tools you can add a recessed outlet using an oscillating tool. It makes easy work to cut through the back of the cabinet. Below are pictures from my house. The outlet shown is for the microwave. The other is a driver for the LED lights. That is direct wire connection powered from the switch. I was able to remove the cover at the driver, disconnect the plug in cord and wire in the power. Of course the wire was installed before the cabinets were install. I have light bar that pretty much hides the driver.

Those oscillating tools are extremely handy to have and they cut quite well in thighs spots. This tool is perfect for your job.

F0BE0ECA-42E1-4996-A9E5-7605DF4C4D9E.jpeg 11805C89-D77B-4DA1-B618-56002D9E46BA.jpeg upload_2019-1-11_8-48-43.jpeg

Studly

Reaction score
With the right tools you can add a recessed outlet using an oscillating tool. It makes easy work to cut through the back of the cabinet. Below are pictures from my house. The outlet shown is for the microwave. The other is a driver for the LED lights. That is direct wire connection powered from the switch. I was able to remove the cover at the driver, disconnect the plug in cord and wire in the power. Of course the wire was installed before the cabinets were install. I have light bar that pretty much hides the driver.

Those oscillating tools are extremely handy to have and they cut quite well in thighs spots. This tool is perfect for your job.

View attachment 50937 View attachment 50938 View attachment 50936

Thanks, looks nice! I do have an osc. tool and was planning to use it. But since I don't need a full outlet there, not sure if it's worth the trouble to put in a single gang box. I think just a cover will do to cover up the hole I'll need to fish the wire through. For your microwave outlet, that doesn't look like a full 1-gang receptacle ... or is it?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It is a single box but it had to be a shallow ( 1 1/4” deep) because it is in a cement block wall behind it and the drywall is attached to 3/4” furring strips. It is just a single outlet that allowed a little more room in the box.
For you to fish a wire the hole needed may be bigger than wanted so a 2x3 cutout for a recessed box may be better than a box taking up room in the cabinet. Personal choice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks