Best tank type water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

DX

General Contractor
Reaction score
I'm doing some research in preparation for replacing my own 30-yr old AO Smith power vent, which is still working fine.
Looking for best performance/ quality/efficiency/longevity, etc. Does anyone have links to any articles, research, personal experience, etc? Mostly interested in gas heaters but may consider gas-assisted heat pumps and similar that don't involve resistance heating. Any info greatly appreciated.

Phog

Reaction score
If you ask 5 different plumbers this question, you'll get 5 different answers. There are certain lines of tanks from certain manufacturers that are known duds, however that unfortunately doesn't typically become apparent until a few years in. To take your AO Smith as an example, some of their Home Depot sold tanks have gained a bad reputation, while others from supply houses seem to be quite good. In other words it's a crapshoot. Anecdotally, Rheem and Bradford White seem to have a lot of supporters. But can you take that as a guarantee of money well spent..? Probably not.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are lucky to have a WH lasting 30 yrs.
Whatever you buy as a replacement will not last that long.
So what do you buy? I would get a 6 yr WH, most will last more and some will last less. Manufacturers are not quick to honor warranties, and labor costs are never included.
What brand? every brand you see out there is made by one of the three major manufacturers: AO Smith, Rheem-Ruud and Bradford White.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks