AO Smith, Reem or Stiebel Eltron/Which hybrid water heater brand is most reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Davo53209

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and I'm also in the market for a new hybrid water heater. As for a little background on myself, I currently reside within the midwest, where it gets below freezing, and I'm considering whether, or not a heat pump water heater would be beneficial or contradictive for my geographical area.

Additionally, I have been attempting to research three brands consisting of AO Smith, Rheem, and Stiebel Eltron; but the information that I've gathered has been rather conflicting.

Whether that be Rheem, or AO Smith, the information that I've gathered has indicated that both companies have quirks in which they will honor the warranty for labor; but not for specific parts, which apparently fail in only a couple of years time. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has an opinion to offer or has had experience with any of these two brands.

As for a Stiebel Eltron, they appear to be a bit pricier; but it's implied that they are also a bit more reliable than the other two brands. Again, anyone who's ever dealt with this brand, your opinion will be appreciated.

In short, what I'm attempting to find is the most reliable 50 gallon heat pump water heater that's going to be relatively headache free product.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When I replaced my WH back in October, I did not go with a hybrid because of the complexity. One reason is if the heat pump goes out, the entire WH must be replaced unless it's the control board and if it's still available. I'm not sure if the HVAC technicians can repair them just yet. Like a refrigerator, the compressor goes it's cheaper to replace the refrigerator.

I think the hybrid is great but if I were younger I would have put one in, but 74 and in the future I do not want the wife to have to deal with it. Standard WH works just find for us. My electric company offers a $500 rebate for Hybrids and it can be installed by the homeowner which made my decision harder to decide.

I like A.O. Smith and buy them at a supplier, not at HD or others. I do not think there is much difference between any brand but do get one for any support needed for parts, etc. When replacing the water heater, an expansion tank is needed unless you're on a well.

JamesE

Reaction score
You will never break even on the investment.... the heater will leak before you do recoup the money in 30 years,...
I'm looking to put one in a new home, as my co-worker had one installed and it cut her electrical bill by nearly $50 a month. And combined with Federal Tax credits and local utility rebates, her ROI was only 3 years. Plus she ended up with a 2 car garage that stays cool and dry in the summer.

But you do need the right location for one, and a climate that supports it. Florida is great, North Dakota... not so much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks