Best submersible pump brands-suggestions??

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Onokai, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Onokai

Onokai Member

I have a 110 foot well with a frankiln motor and a Goulds pump that I installed in 24 years ago. Its still working today for us a hosuehold of two. Its a 3/4 hp motor. I'm not 100% but I think its a 5 Gpm pump
    I have been told that pumps these day last 7-11 years max.Any suggestions on the most longer lasting brands out there now???

I know most motors these days come from China and Mexico not sure about the pumps .
    whats the longest pump life you have seen. ??

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Not likely. More likely a 7 or 10 gpm pump. For one thing, a 5 gpm pump would have been significantly more expensive, and would not be a good match for your well.

Stuff you have heard sounds suspect to me. Wells and usage vary. I don't have a brand suggestion, however, other than to go as long as the current pump is doing fine. If you have a control box ("3 wire" pump), replace the capacitor or the whole control box.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Goulds or Grundfos pump with a Franklin motor is still a good combination. As Reach says a 10 GPM in 3/4HP would be best at that depth. As with any pump, eliminating the on/off cycling is how to make them last. Pumps are made to run 24/7/365, but they won't last if started too many times.

5. Onokai

Onokai Member

Yes I have replaced the whole control box once (its a grunfus box-all stainless). I plan on checking the flow (drain tank and use the facet before tank to check the flow rate per minute to see what it is.I defenatly want the same setup I have when this one fails.

6. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

"retired" and still building and troubleshooting
    I have one well going on about 35 years, a all SS pump head made by Grundfos in Fresno, California, 25gpm, with a 1hp Franklin motor. Capacitor run box, changed every 7 to ten years and contacts in the pressure switch, or the whole thing. Another is 25GPM and a Teel pump, probably Myers, 1 HP Franklin. Installed 1994. No pressure or flow reduction to matter yet. Franklin makes it's small motors in Mexico and larger in USA. I just bought a 16gpm Grundfos pump head, still made in Fresno, California and about $400. Myers has a copy of that for less and claims to be made in Wisconsin.