Bathtub Drain Angle More Than 90 Degrees?

Users who are viewing this thread

Israel Avila

Reaction score
We’re building a bathroom in our addition and I’m concerned about the layout the plumber used for the bathtub drain. As you can see below, the black box is for the bathtub p-trap. But instead of running the drain pipe to the right into the main line, the plumber ran the drain pipe in the opposite direction to an exterior wall for a vent, then has the pipe do a V turn in almost the opposite direction.

Seems like a bad idea to me to have such a sharp angle and underground. I was looking for some thoughts on this layout and, if problematic or unacceptable, some possible solutions.

My thought was to keep those pipes in place, but tie in the existing drain to another pipe that went to the right, in the same direction as the main line. That way the new pipe would serve as the drain and the existing pipe would be for venting only.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

F625979E-6278-41BB-B286-0BBFE651C516.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Israel, The tub is plumbed great . perfect job . leave it alone, . this system is very good vented well and will perform trouble free for a long time. might want to ask where the end of line cleanout is going? behind the toilet?

Israel Avila

Reaction score
Your plumber has it right. You can't have an unwashed horizontal vent below the flood level of the fixtures served.
Got it, thanks.

For my knowledge, what is the problem with having an unwashed horizontal vent below the flood level?

Israel Avila

Reaction score
Israel, The tub is plumbed great . perfect job . leave it alone, . this system is very good vented well and will perform trouble free for a long time. might want to ask where the end of line cleanout is going? behind the toilet?
Yes, cleanout is behind the toilet. There’s also one behind the sinks at the far left exterior wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks