Bathroom sink valve - how many turns to stop?

Users who are viewing this thread

AcidWater

Reaction score
This doesn't seem to be a variation that is searchable in valve set shopping websites.
Is 1/4 turn the current standard? Are there different turns to stop?
I really want more turns to stop so I can have finer control, I usually use only a small flow.
I don't even think that all brands tell you how many turns to stop on their products !

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That would be a standard multi-turn stop.

brasscraft-multi-turn.jpg

Last edited:

AcidWater

Reaction score
That would be a standard multi-turn stop.
I also see several GPM limits. How many GPM from a 1966 era bathroom faucet?
And GPM max would be measured as allowing half the limit from each tap? Or is the limit measured with only 1 tap open?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Newer bathroom vanity valve sets are limited to somewhere in the 2+gpm range...don't remember the exact number. Most of them limit that by a restriction in the spout, so it doesn't matter which valve is opened or how much. 1966 was before any of the flow restrictions were imposed (late 1980's).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
MOST modern faucets have ceramic seals so they only rotate 1/4 turn. There are some older styles that still use compression washer which do use multiple turns, but there is no "standard" as to how many turns any valve uses to open and close.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks