Rotation Valves- Rule of Thumb- Knowing by Feel if They are Open or Closed

Users who are viewing this thread

brcidd

Reaction score
I am a retired Automotive Engineer. When I was a college Co-op back in the late 70's I was mentored by an ex-Navy technician who taught me a very important "Rule of Thumb" when dealing with rotational valves- which is "Whenever you open a rotational valve- you never hold it tight against the open stop, but always hit the ccw stop and turn back a quarter turn" This is so the next guy (or you in several yrs) will always know by feel if that valve is open or closed. If it is loose- it is open and if it is tight it is closed- simple as that! I can't tell you how many times I have had to try to move a valve not knowing if it is already open or closed because someone before me does not apply this concept. Heck, I have had to use channel locks on a fully opened valve to turn it away from the open stop, because someone else butted it up tight against the open stop. The flow difference between 100% open and 99% open is negligible! So this "Navy" concept is well worth engraining in anyone who deals with rotational valves! Seems, I have trouble making even experienced "Valve Salesman" understand this concept. Numerous technicians seem to not grasp onto it. So does the plumbing community use this? Is it a common concept to those who deal with it daily? Or am I all washed up? Thanks for reading my rant.
P.S I'd love to give this concept a name, if it doesn't have one already, any ideas?

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I always do this with any multi turn valve, it really does make a difference.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are some valves where this would not be appropriate. However I can't find the info now. The deal with those is they have a second seat that blocks flow up the stem while full open. So you are not reliant on the packing to hold the water pressure. Plus, you could change the packing while the pipe was under pressure. I think it was hj (@hj) who pointed those out.

But I can see that the not-fully-tight convention could be useful.

Edit: see https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pack-a-gate-valve-under-pressure.31136/ #4

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks