Bathroom shower install

Users who are viewing this thread

Mnskateboarder

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum, going to be finishing my bathroom that’s roughed in from when Home was built. I attached two pictures of current situation. I will be framing to have a 4’ Shower as entire opening from stud to stud is 59 1/2”.

The red line indicates side that I will be framing. The shower drain is at 25” to center, from left hand side, which puts it, not center as showers are.

What would one do in this situation? Frame an inch out on other side? Try to use a offset drain fitting? I’ve done a little plumbing on home projects, just never installed a shower before.

Any help, tips or ideas is much appreciated.
4DB40314-297B-40C1-821E-59A9D09A0206.jpeg
9C0BD136-F8F7-474F-B38C-C10C1CB50BFF.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Any help, tips or ideas is much appreciated.
You almost certainly have a trap there, but it is easy enough to check. Pour maybe a quart of water in there, and make sure there is standing water in the trap several minutes later.

Mnskateboarder

Reaction score
Yes, I need to verify a trap is there, but this post at the moment is assuming there is one installed. I will be using a 48x34 3 piece shower kit from Home Depot.

Mnskateboarder

Reaction score
7C065B4E-46EA-419F-A86C-C09E48D9B83F.jpeg

I saw this and was considering maybe this would work, it offsets it 3/4 of inch, which would put me within 1/4 inch of perfect center. Thoughts?

ImOld

Octogenerian
Reaction score
Are you a masochist? Do you want to make mountain out of a molehill? Need to learn exotic plumbing techniques? Did your education include a course taught by an instructer named Rube Goldberg?

Just frame it to what you require!

rube-goldberg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mnskateboarder

Reaction score
Are you a masochist? Do you want to make mountain out of a molehill? Need to learn exotic plumbing techniques? Did your education include a course taught by an instructer named Rube Goldberg?

Just frame it to what you require!

Reframing the room isn’t an option. Framing the right hand side as I mentioned to a 4’ opening still does not center the train, without bringing the left hand side out 1”. Is that what you are suggesting?

Mnskateboarder

Reaction score
Normally I would break or cut some concrete and move the p-trap to the center you need.

Do you think that is my best option, being 1 inch off, versus trying to use that offset flange to offset? Obviously having it in right spot is best, just not sure how big of a job I’ll get myself into trying to bust up the concrete, and if I could avoid with the offset flange, would save me a little headache. Just have done neither, so seeing what everyone thought.

ss3964spd

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but no way I'd give up 11.5" X 34" to dead space. I'd bust up the concrete, move the drain, and build a custom shower. If I had to use the pre-made shower I'd still move the drain to the right and then move the wall on the left. Reframing isn't difficult, nor terribly time or money consuming.

Opinions aside though, a pre-made pan has no wiggle room. If the pre-made is they way you have to go I'd buy it, set it in place over the existing drain, then see what you need to do from there as far as framing goes.

Keep in mind, too, that your existing drain is ABS, and you don't really want to be gluing PVC to ABS.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks