Bathroom Layout - Vent Location

Users who are viewing this thread

nbailey

Reaction score
Laying out the waste/vent for an upstairs bathroom. The attached picture shows the approximate layout of the room and the waste line location I am planning on using. The 3" drain runs vertically to the bathroom using a chase and then will be branched off. The original plan was to only vent it straight up through the chase to the roof but I the shower is going to end up exceeding the maximum distances allowed (I believe right now the distance of branch to shower would be approximately 12-13ft). What would be the best route for venting the shower? Place another vent in the wall of shower drain? Can I extend the waste line another foot or so beyond the shower and take it vertically through the cavity behind the shower (This area would work a little better for roof access) or would this not be to code? Feel like I'm probably overthinking this...

Bath_Layout.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
wet_vent_upc_3_4_bath.jpg

I believe the IPC code allows up to eight feet on a 2" trap arm. UPC is five feet.
If it's too far for the lav to vent, then you might need a vent at the shower. They will want that vent vertical without any horizontal.

nbailey

Reaction score
I believe the IPC code allows up to eight feet on a 2" trap arm. UPC is five feet.
If it's too far for the lav to vent, then you might need a vent at the shower. They will want that vent vertical without any horizontal.

Yeah, the sink will fall within the 8 feet to the 3in chase vent so I will place another vent at the shower. Another question that branches off of this one then is can I combine the vents before penetrating the roof? The 3" chase line would have to come over to the shower vent due to the way the roof line works. Once it penetrates the attic space can I take it horizontal over to the shower vent?

nbailey

Reaction score
I'm a fan of less holes in the roof and my mind keeps wandering... the house already has a vertical vent pipe that penetrates the roof that the rest of the house uses. This new bathroom branches off of it. Can I just use two AAV's on the vents for this bathroom in the attic area above?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Horizontals on the venting gets bumped one pipe size if the horizontal is more than a third of the vertical.
A bathroom can be vented with 2" in most places.
An AAV should be in an accessible location for replacement, and for them to work you need at least one vent through the roof. Often for sinks they will have the vent in the cabinet.

nbailey

Reaction score
Horizontals on the venting gets bumped one pipe size if the horizontal is more than a third of the vertical.
A bathroom can be vented with 2" in most places.
An AAV should be in an accessible location for replacement, and for them to work you need at least one vent through the roof. Often for sinks they will have the vent in the cabinet.

Okay so AAV is probably not best as accessibility would end up being an issue.

As for the vent layout here is another.. *cough* "drawing" marked with known pipe sizes. So you are saying that the horizontal pipe would need to be bumped up to a 3" pipe. Does that mean that all the vertical vent sections are 2" the whole way or should I just take the 3" straight up out of the roof?

Scan.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since the shower needs a 1.5" vent, bumping that to 2" covers your horizontal.
The lav needs it's own vent there, the venting is above the trap arm, not below.
The toilet gets 3" waste, the shower gets 2" with the lav dropping in.

nbailey

Reaction score
Since the shower needs a 1.5" vent, bumping that to 2" covers your horizontal.
The lav needs it's own vent there, the venting is above the trap arm, not below.
The toilet gets 3" waste, the shower gets 2" with the lav dropping in.

Please bear with me... want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Updated image attached.

1) So you are saying that the orange section for the waste line can be 2" (shower and lav) and then 3" from the toilet to the drain?
2) The sink needs to be vented directly as well by connecting to the 2" vent? As per your previous post I believe I would be fine using an AVV here if needed?
3) The vertical vent from the drain up through the roof can all be 2" as well or does it need to be 3"?

That should finish up all my questions. I really appreciate your help and so will my wife!

drains_02.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, 2" will vent the entire bathroom in most codes.
Where I plumb it will vent three bathrooms as long as there are other vents in the home to make up the difference.
For most homes I wind up popping two 2" vents and one 1.5" vent through the roof, which is the same area as a 3" pipe.

Your'e looking ready to put on the gloves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks