Basement Bathroom Wet Vent + AAV

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinwatson

Reaction score
DIY plumbing a basement bathroom in Michigan (IPC) and am wondering about venting. Only real access to existing stack is a 3" line that carries waste from other bathrooms on other floors so I believe that is a no-no. I've got a revised plan drawn out and attached. I can use an AAV in my location but I'm wondering if the rest is good? I've bumped up the lav and shower/tub to 2" for the wet vent purposes. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.40.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.40.27 PM.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 57

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Connect main drain downstream of w/c connection also why not 1 1/2 trap arm for the lav?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Only fixtures that are part of the bathroom group may drain through the horizontal wet vent system. The toilet needs to be wye'd off of the horizontal wet vented portion and only 1 fixture can be upstream of the dry vented fixture. So it would need to be downstream of the sink drain.

912.1 Horizontal Wet Vent Permitted
912.2.1 Horizontal Wet Vent

Looks like AAV are permitted but may have to read some of the fine print.. which I haven't in a while.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
bringing the main drain to downstream of w/c would sovl
Only fixtures that are part of the bathroom group may drain through the horizontal wet vent system. The toilet needs to be wye'd off of the horizontal wet vented portion and only 1 fixture can be upstream of the dry vented fixture. So it would need to be downstream of the sink drain.

912.1 Horizontal Wet Vent Permitted

Looks like AAV are permitted but may have to read some of the fine print.. which I haven't in a while.
Dosent tieing the main in down stream of the toilet solve all issues? there is only one wet vented fixture upstream of the dry vent that I see

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
bringing the main drain to downstream of w/c would sovl

Dosent tieing the main in down stream of the toilet solve all issues? there is only one wet vented fixture upstream of the dry vent that I see
Same thing I think. just different ways of saying it. I think we were answering at the same time initially. I was just rushing out the door to meet my guys starting a new project

kevinwatson

Reaction score
yep no other issue main drain seperated from wet vent good to go!
Thanks for the help. I think I'm understanding correctly. Do a 4x3x3 wye off the main, do a wye for the toilet, a wye for the vent/lav, and 2" for the tub/shower? Or would the toilet need to tie-in before the vent goes up?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I think I'm understanding correctly. Do a 4x3x3 wye off the main, do a wye for the toilet, a wye for the vent/lav, and 2" for the tub/shower? Or would the toilet need to tie-in before the vent goes up?
@Jeff H Young @John Gayewski Thank you for the quick responses. Would this revised layout work?
Almost there. I believe that All connections to the horizontal wet vented system must be made with horizontal connections, So the sink WYE should be horizontal then 90 up.. One fixture, your tub/shower may be upstream of that dry vented fixture.

**EDIT**
This is where my understanding the horizontal connection comes from. I don't plumb in IPC so I'm not as steeped in it as UPC.

The dry-vent connection for a horizontal wet-vent system shall be an individual vent or a common vent for any bathroom group fixture, except an emergency floor drain. Where the dry-vent connects to a water closet fixture drain, the drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal wet-vent system. Not more than one wet-vented fixture drain shall discharge upstream of the dry-vented fixture drain connection.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Almost there. I believe that All connections to the horizontal wet vented system must be made with horizontal connections,
This is a confusing point of disagreement between the IRC and IPC (although for the configuration shown in post #7 it turns out not to matter). The IRC's plumbing section has language similar to what you mention, but the IPC does not. In jurisdictions that adopt both the IPC and the IRC's plumbing sections, what often matters for single family residences is the language in Chapter 1 of each code, which clarifies whether the plumbing must be done per the IRC or whether the option to use the IPC is available.

For the OP, MI has adopted both the IPC (based on 2021 IPC) and the IRC (based on 2015 IRC), and the Chapter 1 language specifies that the IRC is operative for single family residences, with no option to use the IPC.

So the relevant section of the IRC is P3108.1, which states:

" . . . Each fixture drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal branch being wet vented or shall have a dry vent."

That language requires the tub/shower and the WC to connect horizontally to the wet vented horizontal branch. However, I would say that the lavatory is exempt from that requirement, as it does have a dry vent.

Thus I see no issue with the configuration show in post #7, looks IRC compliant to me.

Cheers, Wayne

kevinwatson

Reaction score
This is a confusing point of disagreement between the IRC and IPC (although for the configuration shown in post #7 it turns out not to matter). The IRC's plumbing section has language similar to what you mention, but the IPC does not. In jurisdictions that adopt both the IPC and the IRC's plumbing sections, what often matters for single family residences is the language in Chapter 1 of each code, which clarifies whether the plumbing must be done per the IRC or whether the option to use the IPC is available.

For the OP, MI has adopted both the IPC (based on 2021 IPC) and the IRC (based on 2015 IRC), and the Chapter 1 language specifies that the IRC is operative for single family residences, with no option to use the IPC.

So the relevant section of the IRC is P3108.1, which states:

" . . . Each fixture drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal branch being wet vented or shall have a dry vent."

That language requires the tub/shower and the WC to connect horizontally to the wet vented horizontal branch. However, I would say that the lavatory is exempt from that requirement, as it does have a dry vent.

Thus I see no issue with the configuration show in post #7, looks IRC compliant to me.

Cheers, Wayne
Much appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Almost there. I believe that All connections to the horizontal wet vented system must be made with horizontal connections, So the sink WYE should be horizontal then 90 up.. One fixture, your tub/shower may be upstream of that dry vented fixture.

**EDIT**
This is where my understanding the horizontal connection comes from. I don't plumb in IPC so I'm not as steeped in it as UPC.

The dry-vent connection for a horizontal wet-vent system shall be an individual vent or a common vent for any bathroom group fixture, except an emergency floor drain. Where the dry-vent connects to a water closet fixture drain, the drain shall connect horizontally to the horizontal wet-vent system. Not more than one wet-vented fixture drain shall discharge upstream of the dry-vented fixture drain connection.
Good eye Tuttles , Yea Im still trying to get this only place I ve learned about horrizontal wet venting is on the forum and the codes online I never did any of this venting on commercial work and got out of most home building in 03, little jobs remodel etc Ive stuck to old way for most part think ill remember this tip though on entering the wet vent on the horrizontal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks