Bath Tub Trap sucked dry from washing machine. Fix? Pics included.

Users who are viewing this thread

A Bavier

Reaction score
I live in WI, in a very small town. Thanks for any wisdom you could pass to me. I'm fairly handy, but this is the deepest plumbing project I've every considered doing.

I would like to fix the multitude of problems with this 1.5" PVC pipe that is highlighted in the following picture in orange. This pipe has a 2nd floor bath tub, and a 1st floor washing machine and bath sink on it. It connects to a 2" cast iron pipe at the slab. I don't know the plumbing configuration under the slab.

Problems:
  • Bathtub trap sucked dry due to no venting anytime washing machine drains
  • Double trap.
  • Sloping up instead of down.
  • No vent
  • Washing machine in 1.5"
Current.jpg
Can I increase this whole pipe to 2" and run a vent up to the horizontal vent line above? Due to the length from the bath tub to the wall, it needs to be 2" for 1/4" drop. I've drawn up a proposal and highlighted it in purple.
Proposed.jpg

Or should I additionaly be moving the washing machine over to the main 3" PVC stack? I'm less sure how I retrofit the washing machine into the 3" vertical -- would I use the black rubber slip fitting with stainless clamps? I would like to do this properly.

Here is a picture of the current vertical 1.5" PVC to cast iron junction. The orange sealant stuff is very hard. It appears there is room to increase the PVC to 2". I believe it is OK to use a Fernco donut to join the PVC into the cast iron bell of the pipe -- I just need to order the right size.
Current_PVCtoCastIron.jpg

Again thanks for any thoughts.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
At base of new stack put an upright wye with the branch going to second floor waste. on top of wye put santee for wash mach. Tie wash machine vent to other vents below. I'd say put a clean out on that PVC stack as well and run snake down it

A Bavier

Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendation.

Does this picture sum up the recommendation regarding the wye and the vent? Wye lowest, then the laundry drains in above, and that is vented to the lower vent pipes. The 2nd floor tub drains into the wye's branch, and that vent line separately goes up to the 2nd floor.

Can the vents stay 1.5" for the tub line and the laundry line? That is my current understanding from reading the codes. Little concerned it is too many units of water, but they wouldn't be draining at the same time.

Attachments

• proposed V2.jpg
    proposed V2.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 210

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The cast iron hub in the floor also does 2" with the right donut.
The tub can only come in below the washer. The venting for the washer can't be used as an upstairs drain.
Tub comes in below the washer, if a 3" stack is handy that works too.
The washer needs a vent for the trap that stays dry.

dwv_b2.jpg

A Bavier

Reaction score
Ok, going through that checklist you wrote, it looks like I'd be good with that setup I drew up. Everything will have a dry vent.

I do plan on using a donut on that cast iron pipe and running the 2" PVC into. Now to go get the parts!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think youve got it I dont see a drain from second floor going into vent. good luck

A Bavier

Reaction score
Thanks for the concern. They are at the top of the picture in reply three, but it isn't the most clear. There is one from the tub going up from the San T, and a 2nd vent that is a collection of all the items from the first floor. They'll be joined and routed over the 2nd floor sink, like was drawn up in my very first post.

I'm sitting here making out a list of all the parts I need. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks