Bath sink drain on wall left of vanity. Installing pedestal.

Users who are viewing this thread

XTN

Reaction score
Ok... 1930's Brooklyn tenement. Replacing vanity with a pedestal sink (my Mistress insisted).

The 1 1/2" drain stack is in the wall to the left of where the sink can be placed and located about 12" from it.

There is a threaded pipe going into the stack and the previous owner devised (after a few beers, I can only speculate) a fun solution. Naturally I'm hesitant to unscrew anything for fear of it crumbling. I do have about 5" of horizontal protrusion to work with. And a hacksaw.

I will be tiling both walls but want to have the stack accessible and the pipe for the drain clean-looking

My initial thought was to have an access panel for emergencies and to run painted galvanized pipe or simple chrome brass from the stack to the recess in the back of the pedestal base.

To do so, I would need to take a left turn, run it to the back wall, take a right and then Another right to the p-trap directly under the sink. Hard to describe, but I will try to upload a photo. Sounds funky, right?

It's just a sink, there's not a lot of draining volume. Teeth brushing, hand washing, shaving.

Of course I'd love to bury it in the wall, but should it ever need to be snaked, the hard right angle fitting I'd have to use would cause chaos. That leaves me with external pipe

Still reading? Good.

Now do I have to worry about drain angle? I could slant the straightaways. What about the elbow to the stack? Doesn't it need to be a graceful curve? This would make the pipe protrude away from the tile and I'm hoping to keep it as close as possible.

I was also thinking of a removable,rubber coupler, but they're ugly as sin.

This is what 85 years of plumbing advancement and cheap repairs produce. Rent controlled apartments are nice financially (for the tenant), but eventually the margins become so thin that only the basics get attended to at minimal cost. Now that it's co-op, I have years of f@¢kery to attend to.

So. Advice? Solutions? Caveats? Crossion issues? Call a plumber? Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 4,116
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 824

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally 135 degrees of change on a trap arm if you in the wall. What you have there is an S trap without a vent really. Vents come off the top of the trap arm, not below.
If you were to bring it to the back wall for a pedestal, you would need two 90 bends. A long sweep in the corner and a medium pointing out for the pedestal. Not really code, but would work. You would also want to raise the santee in the wall so that the venting worked on that.

XTN

Reaction score
Thank you. Valuable information. Puts a spin on this gas. Changes everything. Much appreciated.

I haven't researched the theories behind venting. I do understand without it, a vacuum would prevent flow.

Since it's a four-story apartment building and I think the in-wall pipes are shared, I'm theorizing they're properly vented.

Another neighbor has her p-trap protruding from the wall stack. Is this putting the venting above it?. Nicely contained in a box vanity, but too visible for my purposes (damn pedestal).

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how it was set up originally. 1930s New York. Presumably very short claw foot tubs and wall mounted sinks. Corner ones?

What about a medium 90 left into a p-trap? This, if done measured right, will place it properly below the outlet and snuggle it up against the wall. Then maybe a sweep up, a sweep right and then behind the sink?

once tile is put up, there's no way I'm pulling it out.

What about the metal on that pipe. I've read galvanized to cast iron is an issue. Black pipe isn't ideal?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Cut to the chase. There is almost NO WAY you can connect a pedestal lav to THAT drain connection and do it properly. Actually, vacuums do NOT "prevent" a flow, instead they make the drain flow too good.

XTN

Reaction score
Cut to the chase. There is almost NO WAY you can connect a pedestal lav to THAT drain connection and do it properly. Actually, vacuums do NOT "prevent" a flow, instead they make the drain flow too good.

Right? It's just too roundabout.

Now, in your opinion, what would be the solution considering I have about 25" from the left corner along the back wall to the pony wall for the alcove tub. Having the back of any vanity against the wall with the waste exit won't fit.

Slender bathroom. Maybe 90" x 60".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would skip the pedestal and maybe do a floating cabinet. The galvanized nipple can be replaced with a new one. Picking up the drain from the side makes more sense as far as it working right.
The trap should be at the same level as the nipple in the wall, and the tailpiece can be extended to come down to that level.

XTN

Reaction score
Thank you both. I'm grateful for this forum. Great resource. Solved this head-scratcher and now I have a lovely Kohler pedestal assembly which I will hang on the wall and claim as a Marcel Duchamp (who's 1917 piece 'Fountain' is considered one of the most influential contributions to 20th Century art).

Seriously. Wild, eh?

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 742

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"(my Mistress insisted)".

Doing free plumbing work for a mistress is a big mistake. Don't believe me? just wait and see.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks