Basement Bathtub rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Omar1

Reaction score
Hi

I am new to this website and came across it while searching for help on plumbing for my DIY basement project. I just finished installing the vent lines and am looking at shower/tub drain now.

The basement was supposed to have all the rough-in done for the bathroom however I am seeing quite a few errors by the builder.

My first issue is the location of the shower/tub combo drain. The builder plan showed that there was supposed to be a tub in this location yet the rough-in dimensions don't seem to be that of a tub. As I understand there needs to be a p-trap attached to the pipe and the pipe coming out of the concrete should be much closer to the back wall.
Do I need to cut up all the concrete here ? I was hoping to find a way around this.

Current dimensions of the horizontal pipe --- 16" from the side wall & 13" from the back wall.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Omar

Attachments

• 20160620_014215.jpg
    20160620_014215.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3,891

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I can't tell from the picture if the drain location is correct or not. Usually the drain is centered (side to side) at one end the tub. If the Tub is 32 inches wide, allowing some space for the tub ledge and wall build out, I would expect the drain to be about 16 or 17 inches out from the side wall, and 9 to 10 inches from the end wall. But it really depends on the tub style. The P-trap should be under the concrete already (at least it was in my home). Is there rough plumbing for the hot/cold water lines?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A rough doesn't come with a P-Trap preinstalled in most cases. It's rare that the trap would be located close enough to use after the walls have been built and the pipes kicked around by the concrete pour. It's common to block out for the trap arm so that it's findable, and then the trap is installed when the tub is set.
Most 30" tubs rough at 14-5" from the long wall and very close to the end wall.
Yes, you will need to cut or break concrete for that. Unless you are going with a shower with a drain on that end. Then you may slide by with the hole you have.

Omar1

Reaction score
I don't see any p-trap under the concrete. Seems like the builder has run the 2" pipe only and apparently to the wrong location. Since I am planning to install a tub/shower combo unit, I was planning to use the drain/overflow assembly. Something like

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...ipe-Bath-Drain-in-Chrome-WO-4-CR-EZ/206393896

This means that after the installation of the p-trap the upwards pipe should be much closer to the shorter wall.

I am hoping I have to only cut up the concrete in that direction and don't have to touch the main line too much. Are there any bends not allowed as I was thinking of installing a 90 elbow and taking the main line towards the shorter wall and then installing the p-trap. See attached rough pic.

The pith has to be maintained. I got only gravel under the floor. Will that be sufficient to set the pitch of the pipes or is there something else that should be used. Note I am going to get this inspected for rough-in Do the inspectors expect this done up to the p-trap with all pipes visible ?

Attachments

• rough pic.jpg
    rough pic.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,241

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
OMG, the picture for that waste and overflow from Home Depot has an upside down santee. What were they thinking? :(

A long turn 90 would be good for the band there.
Since it's a trap arm, you can also do a medium 90.
Gravel is fine there.
I've seen inspections for rough done before the tub was set before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks