Attic full bath with wet vent - UPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Cody Lohse

Reaction score
Hello,

This form is awesome so thanks for that.

I am remodeling my 1938 1 1/2 story in MN and adding a bathroom with a Lav, WC and Shower. I've been going around in circles trying to get the plumbing for this bath figured out. I finally might have a solution but wanted to get some feedback if possible. So thank you for your time in advance.

I've attached a drawing of what I believe will work. It includes a wet vent, which I was trying to avoid but I can't figure out how else to vent the toilet without it. The toilet and the main drain are in the same joist cavity which I think is convenient. The lav drain (2") and vent (2") will run behind a knee wall and join the 3" drain. The 2" shower drain will pass through 2 16"OC 2x8 joists, which the inspector seems to think is fine for drilling through. I believe I will have enough clearance for 1/4" / 1 ft grade for the shower drain if I manage to drill the holes correctly. I have some concerns about fitting the shower P trap in the 2x8 cavity, but I still need to figure that out. The shower vent will run up through a 2x6 stub wall then behind the kneewall.

One concern that I have is if it's OK to drain the toilet directly into the 3" drain pipe running beneath it using a combination y-1/8 bend? I can't see why it wouldn't be OK but it stands out to me.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• WetVent.png
    WetVent.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Dropping the toilet into a wye bend is going to give you height problems. Why not wye off for the 2" lav which can also pick up the shower as a wet vent.
The toilet could then use a medium 90 at the end of it's run.
So it would be the toilet on a 90, then downstream a 3x2 wye for the lav. On the way to the lav, a combo or wye fitting for the shower arm. The lav would be wet venting the toilet and the shower. One vent.

Cody Lohse

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

I've attached another drawing hoping I'm capturing what you stated. How does it look?

Attachments

• WetVent2.png
    WetVent2.png
    171.7 KB · Views: 219
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks