Are quarter turn angle stop valves still preferred/recommended?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brian R, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Brian R

Brian R New Member

I'm looking at replacing a frequently clogging toilet and the plumber I'm working with added replacing the existing quarter-turn angle stop valve in his estimate.

I'd always heard I should get rid of multi-turn angle stops and replace them with quarter-turn because multi-turn compression valves are known to fail/freeze whereas quarter-turn are much more reliable. So I am confused as to why he wants to replace the existing quarter-turn valve.

Is it standard practice to replace older valves during a toilet replacement just because there's so much more room to work with the toilet out? I imagine that even quarter-turn stops have a service lifetime. Also, I'm in southern California with extremely hard water - so that's not doing me any favors.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why I'm asking other than the plumber didn't mention this when he was here and it only showed up later on the estimate.

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    1/4 turn stop valves are essentially a ball valve. Far better service and less prone to failure. For standard stop valves it's the stem that will fail. Either the packing fails or the seat washer fails. Most stems are plastic (nylon?) and are poorly made. I never had one last long as far as from the new homes I've own (builders grade). Whenever I changed out a faucet or had to turn one of these valves off, they never would seal again and always leaked. When they fail you replace the entire valve. If you use a standard screw valve they'll last forever if you never have to turn them off. It really the preference of the plumber.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

A lot of plumbers just change it out as standard practice, he gave you one price do it all . Some plumbers automatically change it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2020
  5. Helper Dave

Helper Dave In the Trades

There are some quarter-turn valves that are cheapy, and and if the handle seems like it's brittle plastic, and going to snap, I could understand changing it.

Otherwise, you could save yourself $10, and just tell him to leave it.

6. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

In California the angle stop material and labor isnt 10 dollars. something to think about. If plumber comes out and does all the work and doesent comeback for 10 or 12 years thats good for customer if he comes back to change an anglestop in 2 years its good for the plumber. So thats the justification to do a bit more than the bare minimum. The plumber will say he is trying to save you money the cheapskate will say he is just trying to drive the bill up. In the end you pay your money and take the chances you want if your anglestop is a year old why change it? if its 10 years old why change it?or why not?
    I guess the 1/4 turns are better there are junky ones too though. no packing nut to tighten

Reach4 likes this.
  7. Brian R

Brian R New Member

Thank you for the feedback, everyone.