Which water valve for replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I agree with using a saw, rather than that ratcheting pipe cutter.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes your gonna wanna use a hacksaw, fine tooth saw zall, multitool, or cutoff wheel.

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
I agree with using a saw, rather than that ratcheting pipe cutter.

Yes your gonna wanna use a hacksaw, fine tooth saw zall, multitool, or cutoff wheel.

I'm not cutting the CPVC. I'm cutting the Flowtite valve and then removing the internals from the CPVC. Are you saying I should use a saw to do that?

This is my plan for removal: Remove flowtite using pipe cutter And I'm going to use the Brasscraft 1/4 turn valve to glue onto CPVC.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not cutting the CPVC. I'm cutting the Flowtite valve and then removing the internals from the CPVC. Are you saying I should use a saw to do that?

This is my plan for removal: Remove flowtite using pipe cutter And I'm going to use the Brasscraft 1/4 turn valve to glue onto CPVC.
Sure yes the flow rite valves look like a tube cutter will work.

Most people who read these threads aren't going to click on the links you post and originally you had said some things about adding and cutting pipe.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
All valves to make them last need to be excersized at least once a year twice is better. Just turn them off then back on to clean any build up. Just something to do when smoke detectors need to be tested or batteries.

Eman85

Reaction score
Just from my experiences with CPVC you get to gee hawing around anywhere near it and it will split. Worse case scenario I've had is a lengthwise split that was not visible after cleaning the pipe and installing a new valve.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
*didn't see that this had been addressed before I replied**

The brasscraft for CPVC valves are nice because you can change them out if you need to. Just the "Compression" nut is behind the solvent welded stop. It has a replaceable 'compression' gasket at that point.

I also agree with Jeff, that you're much safer using a fine tooth saw to cut the pipe. Something like a japanese style saw or a metal cutting hacksaw blade that you're using the pull stroke to cut.

The tubing cutter to cut the valves is half is one good method I've seen. Way better than spinning them off anti clockwise and yanking them off.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
use whatever you want since the pipe is new . but I wouldnt Id use the saw just know you might be busing open the wall . you could use a mini copper cutter I suppose but again I wouldnt unless I had good reason

hdtvluvr

Reaction score
Well, I finally replaced all 17 valves yesterday. I started with the pipe cutter and tried to cut the valve in half like in the video but the valve spun on the CPVC. So I pulled on the cutter while turning and holding the pipe behind the valve and the valve came off in about 3 - 4 revolutions. So I just twisted and pulled all of the others off by hand. They came off easier than I would have expected. These brass craft 1/4 turn valves are super easy to turn off and on.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, I finally replaced all 17 valves yesterday. I started with the pipe cutter and tried to cut the valve in half like in the video but the valve spun on the CPVC. So I pulled on the cutter while turning and holding the pipe behind the valve and the valve came off in about 3 - 4 revolutions. So I just twisted and pulled all of the others off by hand. They came off easier than I would have expected. These brass craft 1/4 turn valves are super easy to turn off and on.
Which valves did you use to replace them with? Compression, sharkbite, CPVC weld on?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks