Appliance company thinks my dishwasher install is complicated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I purchased a new Kitchenaid dishwasher and it was supposed to be installed today. The tech looked at my old setup and said it was too complicated for him to do, now it has to be outsourced?
Due to my u-shaped kitchen, the dishwasher needs to be around the corner and on the other side of the stove from the sink. I am pretty sure a 12 foot drain hose should do the trick but I am not sure. What could I change?

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_184032884.jpg
    IMG_20160418_184032884.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
And the view under my sink. I know it isn't code, it came like this when we bought the house. I am located in MN.

Attachments

• IMG_20160418_184058467.jpg
    IMG_20160418_184058467.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
He wouldn't reuse the hoses from the old setup. The rubber discharge hose stops right before stove, as does the copper water supply line. Then there was a braided supply hose and the original. discharge hose.
This company is claiming that this is very complicated and the work needs to be outsourced. I am wondering if I should just have them drop it off and hire someone else to install it.
I can do some DIY, but I am not super handy. My husband is not handy at all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I hear from homeowners all the time where the "installers" refuse to install.
Show these pictures to whoever winds up doing the job. Like hj mentions, you should be able to reuse what is there to get you to where the dishwasher is.
I don't know anyone that will warrant the tubing that is there, but most likely it is fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It would be safer if the hose was longer and went up to the bottom of the countertop before it came down into the tailpiece of the drain.

Is the hose visible in the cabinets along the way? If it is, it shouldn't be all that hard to replace it if you wanted. That would also let you check to see if it got pinched or messed with along the way and try to overcome that issue when routing in a new one.

Some places require an air gap, but a high loop is used in millions of DW without issues.

Reaction score
I bought the Whirlpool 12 foot discharge hose and it seems to reach where it needs to go (middle of the dishwasher cabinet.) Is itokay that it has to make a gradual increase as it goes around the corner of the cabinet? Please excuse the dirty under stove floor.

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_120814305.jpg
    IMG_20160419_120814305.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 265
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks