Antique tub faucet name and safe remove

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
might just need washers and seats . don't know how good the tub fill/overflow functions , the ones I saw looked like they could be converted to modern day over flow, and then maybe put a standard tub spout on.
Any way no real mention of exactly what you want to do Handy Gal. If tub works and no leaks cleans up well, and finding handles to match . you may even have other things going on with property, like kitchen , or heating (that's an important one lately).
The 3 handle valve you have now your planning to mate with exposed shower riser . is that how its plumbed now?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
More old school tub plumbing.

old-school-tub-faucet-01.jpg
old-school-tub-faucet-02.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
How does this tub switch from tub to shower? Does the shower valve get water passing through the tub valve all the time like a bypass? I just worked on a tub with that same style of drain with the handle off to the side with a big arm to pull up the stopper. Someone jacked it up and it seems to be missing something that keeps the handle from flipping over back to the stopped position.

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tub and shower work independently. The 3 valve operates the tub fill and waste. The single handle valve operates the shower using the bypass valve body from the tub filler. That is a awesome classic set-up in like new condition. Thanks Terry for the photos.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tub and shower work independently. The 3 valve operates the tub fill and waste. The single handle valve operates the shower using the bypass valve body from the tub filler. That is a awesome classic set-up in like new condition. Thanks Terry for the photos.
I enjoyed seeing that as well the trim looks replaced I wonder if reproduction ?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This trim is all original except the hot and waste handle. The hot handle is period from a widespread and the waste handle is a cheap fit-all handle.

rhythmtone

Reaction score
Hi, I understand that this thread is old, but the fixtures and issue is so similar, and there aren't that many of these types of threads, that I hope that I can ask.

In the tub, the teal tile, the faucet handles no longer tighten and shut off the water properly - there are caulked ceramic dome (white) covers x2 and you can see that they have made some cuts in the teal tile in the past - but do I need rear access to fix this?

There is a tiled shower in the rear, and that would be extremely difficult to access, can it be fixed with only popping those front covers, in the teal colered tub? It's also second floor, so impossible to access from underneath.

Thank you for any advice,
Dave

Attachments

• 20240319_225022.jpg
    20240319_225022.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240319_224628.jpg
    20240319_224628.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 23

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi, I understand that this thread is old, but the fixtures and issue is so similar, and there aren't that many of these types of threads, that I hope that I can ask.

In the tub, the teal tile, the faucet handles no longer tighten and shut off the water properly - there are caulked ceramic dome (white) covers x2 and you can see that they have made some cuts in the teal tile in the past - but do I need rear access to fix this?

There is a tiled shower in the rear, and that would be extremely difficult to access, can it be fixed with only popping those front covers, in the teal colered tub? It's also second floor, so impossible to access from underneath.

Thank you for any advice,
Dave
Identifying the manufacture would be the first thing to do with detailed photos.

Typically these can be repaired with new parts from the exterior. The handle comes off the stem, then the escutcheon or cover comes off which exposes the packing nut and stem nut. Special wrenches are used for removing stems from the valve.

rhythmtone

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, it says "Republic" on the handles, would more photos help?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240320_205035~3.jpg
    20240320_205035~3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 19

rhythmtone

Reaction score
"Supposedly" the cartridges (if there is such a thing for this era of plumbing) were done between 10-15 years ago, when my parents bought the place, and the thing has probably been used a total of 12 times since then, but the "valves" were not redone at that time, hence the need for "rear access" or "it can't be fixed, you have to do this and that, grumble, grumble".

Part of the problem is, it's very difficult to have the discussion about anything like this, repairs, etc., with the angry old father, who is just about done doing anything, so the the entire thing is a detective's investigation, based on questionable information, haha.

Thanks again

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The tub sure looks like old Crane/Repcal to me, not sure about the shower. I know Barry Walter has the Crane stems and diverter.

rhythmtone

Reaction score
The tub sure looks like old Crane/Repcal to me, not sure about the shower. I know Barry Walter has the Crane stems and diverter.
They should approve my new posts tomorrow hopefully, it says "Republic" but we'll see, it also caused a family argument, so you can't necessary help people fix things, if they don't want your help, haha.

Thanks again

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Republic is pre WW2. Nice old stuff. They were bought by Briggs. Briggs stems and seats may be compatible. You would need to pull the cartridge and match it, or take pics and post them.

rhythmtone

Reaction score
Republic is pre WW2. Nice old stuff. They were bought by Briggs. Briggs stems and seats may be compatible. You would need to pull the cartridge and match it, or take pics and post them.
Thanks for your reply,
I am pretty good with modern stuff, but I know nothing about vintage fixtures.

"Supposedly" the cartridges were done a few years ago and are good, but the problem is the "valves", hence the need for rear access.

Does that sound plausible? Is it true that we would actually need rear access? The hope is that that's incorrect and the seats or seals or whatever (not the actual cartridges) of the valves can be replaced from the front, only removing the front cover.

Most "professional" plumbers in Los Angeles just take one look and say, "there's nothing that I can do for you, short of tearing down the building" haha, and that's why I'm here, haha. If I knew how it was actually assembled, I might have a better idea of how to fix it, but I've not taken anything apart, yet.

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but thank you for any replies,
Dave

Last edited:

rhythmtone

Reaction score
If we go on the assumption that the stems (cartridges) are actually good, that they were actually replaced recently, could someone please describe the process of repairing the valves of this vintage? (if that's even possible?).

Seat replacement or change out the entire valve assembly? (with rear access, tear the wall apart, etc)

I understand that *some* valve seats are completely round (due to wear or design) and cannot be removed, but if they are replaceable, what might be the process for a fixture of this year?

Thanks for any and all advice and/or replies,
Dave

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If we go on the assumption that the stems (cartridges) are actually good, that they were actually replaced recently, could someone please describe the process of repairing the valves of this vintage? (if that's even possible?).

Seat replacement or change out the entire valve assembly? (with rear access, tear the wall apart, etc)

I understand that *some* valve seats are completely round (due to wear or design) and cannot be removed, but if they are replaceable, what might be the process for a fixture of this year?

Thanks for any and all advice and/or replies,
Dave
Hi dave, many steps but take off handles first , then the white porcelan escutcheon . turn off water main , open faucets drain , unscrew the entire stem assembly . inspect washers and the the seats that are inside wall with flash light . Take stem to local hardware store buy new washers , and or stems and seats , youll need a seat wrench 5 , 10 , or 15 bucks tops.
Warning if this goes wrong you wont have water so Id advize just trying the washers if you have little confidence or ability. The washers are pretty easy the whole job is easy kinda..
Id say watch a half dozen you tube videos on the subject , They all are pretty basic, BTW I dont know the age it could be 60s 50s or ? its a lot to write down every little thing so Id look on you tube come on back and share your progress , questions and results ! good luck

rhythmtone

Reaction score
Hi dave, many steps but take off handles first , then the white porcelan escutcheon . turn off water main , open faucets drain , unscrew the entire stem assembly . inspect washers and the the seats that are inside wall with flash light . Take stem to local hardware store buy new washers , and or stems and seats , youll need a seat wrench 5 , 10 , or 15 bucks tops.
Warning if this goes wrong you wont have water so Id advize just trying the washers if you have little confidence or ability. The washers are pretty easy the whole job is easy kinda..
Id say watch a half dozen you tube videos on the subject , They all are pretty basic, BTW I dont know the age it could be 60s 50s or ? its a lot to write down every little thing so Id look on you tube come on back and share your progress , questions and results ! good luck
That all makes perfect sense, but is it possible that the seats are non-removable? (perfectly round type)

What then?

Thanks

rhythmtone

Reaction score
The photo attached shows what's in the wall - there is no seat to replace, just a perfectly smooth round bottom of the pipe where the stem goes - is it possible to fix this in-wall?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240323_215021~2.jpg
    20240323_215021~2.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 10

Reach4

Reaction score
You could try just a washer.

There are tools to dress up the seat. Look up
"seat" valve shower grinder OR cutter OR reamer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks