American Std Cadet3 - lever action doesn't activate flush as before

Users who are viewing this thread

Nickle

Reaction score
Dr Google wasn't able to provide help, probably because I wasn't asking correctly. So hopefully someone here has come across this problem.

I noticed that the toilet isn't operating like it use to. When the toilet was new (American Standard Cadet 3 - 10years old), a quick push of the flush level would trigger a solid flush and a proper full refill of the tank. Now, a quick push (happens sporadically), it seems you only get a "half" flush (partial emptying of the tank) and no siphon action in the bowl. You need now to hold the lever fully down for a "second" to get a full flush. But if you hold the lever down for too long, then the yellow sponge float drops into the tank opening (as most of the water has emptied) and prevents the flapper from reseal. The tank then cannot fill up and runs until you jiggle the lever. Has anybody noticed something similar with theirs? Could the chain had stretched over time? Maybe the sponge is losing it's buoyance?

Other than this, the toilet is working fine. Other toilets in the house are working fine so I don't think there is a blockage in the vent pipe or drain.

Thanks for your insight.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would replace the flapper.
Korky 3060 is a good one to use.

Also make sure the siphon jet hole at the bottom of the bowl is clear and not blocked.

Nickle

Reaction score
Resolved - replacement of the flapper did the trick.

I think the floating sponge just got too old or shrunk in height (hence the chain that held the sponge "became" that bit longer than before).

Terry thanks for the suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks