Improved Champion 4 flush valve

Users who are viewing this thread

PlayaSusia

Reaction score
This is a quick comparison of the old vs improved champion 4 flush valve. I have two of the old style champion 4 flush valves and both were ghost flushing. I contacted American Standard and they sent me 'improved' flush valves. They switched over to the new design sometime in 2020. I read somewhere there is a potential class action against American Standard for the ghost flushing issue so I guess this change was made to address that. Anyway...

- Overall about the same size. The old has grey plastic and the improved has a black plastic body.
- The improved top is one piece, which eliminates the need for the o-ring.
- There is a more prominent ridge on the improved bottom mating surface where the gasket contacts for a better seal.
- The gasket on the improved is totally covered by the plastic flapper as looking down from the top.

The only issue I had installing it was the pull chain was too short, so I had to transfer the old chain over. I didn't notice this until it was fully installed and the tank was back on, and the one piece design makes it more difficult to remove the top half of the flapper in the toilet to change out the gasket.

Just a few observations I noticed, time will tell if it works out better than the old design.

-Old design on the left, Improved on the right.

IMG_0388b.jpg

-Old design

IMG_0389b.jpg

-Improved design

IMG_0390b.jpg

IMG_0387b.jpg

btakashi

Reaction score
I have the old style flush valve, shown here, and it is leaking slowly / ghost flushing about once every 10 minutes.
In order to remove the thumbscrew to get at the flapper, is there something I have to do other than just turning it counterclockwise? It doesn't seem to unscrew easily, there are little plastic pieces that seemingly impede unscrewing.

TomD

Reaction score
I've come here to find any resolution to my specific problem. I've read the larger, older Champions 4 topic started many years ago. I've had a Champions 4 installed for about 4-5 years. I had our plumber come fix our "ghost flush" and the toilet was fine until about a month ago. It started up again but after me getting into it, my problem is not a "flush". It's a short refill. Water is getting thru the seal and after the water level drops, the fill valve opens up and refills the tank. If I turn the water off and come back in, say, 2 hours the water level has dropped to only the seal level. I went to Ace hardware and bought a Korky replacement. Didn't fix it. Purchased a replacement from AS. Still leaks by. I did notice that the seal I replaced had blisters around it. If a blister happened to be in the area that is supposed to be in contact with the seal surface that could definitely allow water thru. But two new seals haven't corrected the problem.

My issue is a slow drip thru the seal. I can hear a drip...drip...drip. But the kicker is, it doesn't happen all of the time. Very confounding and infuriating. BTW I have cleaned both surfaces that seal comes into contact with and I never noticed anything. I guess my next reasonable step is to replace the entire "flapper" contraption.

TomD

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks