Allowed PVC Pipe Connections to Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimjr

Reaction score
Hi,

Brand new member here. Looking forward to “meeting” you all and learning a lot more about plumbing.

I did search on this first.

Anyway, my question is: can a 3 in. “PVC DWV 90 Degree Spigot x Hub Street Elbow” be directly connected to the toilet flange?

Reach4

Reaction score
Anyway, my question is: can a 3 in. “PVC DWV 90 Degree Spigot x Hub Street Elbow” be directly connected to the toilet flange?
Without my being completely sure of what you are looking for, I can confidently say yes. I suspect you are looking for this:
white-charlotte-pipe-pvc-fittings-pvc003021200hd-64_145.jpg
You would then put a 3 inch spigot closet flange on the floor. If you wanted the 3 inch spigot part up top, just orient it that way, and top it with a common 4x3 closet flange on the outside.

Consider a 4x3 closet elbow if you are looking for the spigot part up top. There are advantages vs a 3 inch elbow. This accepts either an inside closet flange or outside. It will accept the common 4x3 closet flange on the inside.
white-pvc-fittings-c48072clhd43-64_145.jpg

Last edited:

Jimjr

Reaction score
Thank you. And, that first fitting is exactly what I'm talking about. FYI, I have limited height because the floor joists are 2x8.

I don't know if it matters that I need to use an offset flange because a floor joist is in the way? I would think not.

If I used the 4x3 closet elbow, could you point me to where I can buy a compatible offset flange?

I have another issue. How do you also install a clean out for the 3 inch pipe that runs from the toilet to the "main" 3 inch PVC pipe that runs along the wall (tucked under the floor joists and drains into the vertical 3 inch PVC that goes to the septic tank)?

Reach4

Reaction score
There are are some nice no-glue options.
http://www.jonesstephens.com/product/c40640/ 4 inch offset cast iron. It gives a 1 inch offset. https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Jones-Stephens-C40640-Product-Overview.pdf

https://www.siouxchief.com/docs/def...s---gasketed-offset-closet-flange---fullflush gives a 1.5 inch offset and attaches to the outside of the 4 inch.

For gluing, https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/offset-flange/fullflush glues inside of a 4 or outside of a 3. Most offset flange would be that way. If you get a glued flange, it is best to get the stainless steel ring.

Click Inbox above.

Another thing that can handle some special situations is a 45 degree output closet flange. Those are 3 inch from what I have seen. Shown is the Sioux Chief 889-45PM

889-45pm-3.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toilets can be installed at 10", 12" and 14". A standard rough is 12". The offset flanges are not a real good way to do 1t. They make 4x3 spigot closet flanges that work fine with a 3" medium 90.

Sometimes I install a cleanout on the vent.

sioux-chief-inside-3-883-atms-side.jpg

sioux-chief-inside-3-883-atms-top.jpg

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only use 4x3 Closet bends that Reach4 posted as the second 90. Its very versitile in heights, as it can be installed with the top of the horizontal portion nearly touching the subfloor. The vertical portion of the 90 extends thru the finished floor and can be cut off flush at time of toilet installation to glue in the flange from the top. It can also be sealed to the finished floor which makes a toilet leak less damaging.

You just have to be careful not to get a closet flange that has a reduction in size. I use the Sioux Chief TKO because it glues to the inside of the Closet Bend.

Jimjr

Reaction score
I only use 4x3 Closet bends that Reach4 posted as the second 90. Its very versitile in heights, as it can be installed with the top of the horizontal portion nearly touching the subfloor. The vertical portion of the 90 extends thru the finished floor and can be cut off flush at time of toilet installation to glue in the flange from the top. It can also be sealed to the finished floor which makes a toilet leak less damaging.

You just have to be careful not to get a closet flange that has a reduction in size. I use the Sioux Chief TKO because it glues to the inside of the Closet Bend.

Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks