After years of use it now clogs almost every time

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
At the low end we start with the TOTO Entrada which is a work horse. But since you're looking home center, I would look at the Cadet or the Wellworth.
Home Depot sells the Entrada, you do have to special order it but there is no shipping charge if you pick it up at the store.

projecttoday

Reaction score
Is the Sydney Smart Caroma's entry model? What is the front-to-back measurement (the door in my bathroom comes close to the current toilet when opening and closing)? Is shipping included at terrylove.com?

projecttoday

Reaction score
I found out more information.

I would like to get a Caroma Sydney Smart II. As you know, this is in West Virginia.

The manager of the apartment complex says the issue is high water pressure. He says that plastic mechanisms inside the toilet can burst under the pressure. They install Mansfield toilets upon request for a fee. The Mansfields have brass mechanisms. The man says they can also put the brass mechanism into other toilets. However they have no dual-flush mechanisms so that would eliminate all Caromas. He said that I could put a Caroma in as-is but that I would be responsible if it ever burst and flooded the apartments below and strongly advised me against doing that.

The water pressure does not seem noticeably high to me. I am on the third floor.

They do 2 models of Mansfield, a standard model and a taller handicapped model.

Any advice?

Reach4

Reaction score
Only the flush valve is dual flush.

Only the fill valve sees the water pressure. They should be independent of each other. The only think I can think of that might interact is if they are using an old ballcock valve, the rod on the float could interfere with some tower flush valves, I guess.

Out of curiosity, I would measure the water pressure with a gauge. It is not going to be important as to whether they require that you use a particular fill valve, but we are curious. Maybe your insurance agent would be too. Who is responsible if the toilet that you have now floods the apartment below?

How much do they charge for a new Mansfield? If it is a rental apartment, should't they be responsible for providing a toilet that flushes solids? Maybe it is a condo now, and you are responsible for plumbing repairs.

projecttoday

Reaction score
Please understand I am not technical so I don't know the flush valve from the fill valve.

This is a cooperative apartment which I own.

I really don't know about the Universal-Rundle that's there now. It was there when I moved in 14 years ago. That's a very good question. Could it be that I'm in the very same position as we speak that the manager advised against? Thanks for pointing that out.

He told me that the complex is responsible if they install one of their toilets and it floods.

I'll go to home depot and get one of those gauges tomorrow if it will help but I really don't know my way around a water heater and hesitate to monkey with it.

I believe they said they would get a Mansfield and install it for around $200.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That pressure advice was BS. High water pressure is not required to refill a toilet, and pressure is not used to do the flushing unless you have a pressure assisted model, but you do not. Mansfield is a pile of junk. Go to HD, order the Entrada. Toto is a highly respected brand no matter which model you get. Terry does not ship toilets due to the frequency of breakage. HD would have to deal with the breakage, so it would not be your problem. You didn't suggest ordering on line, but if you are considering that, here's a couple of things to understand. Yes, there are some companies that offer Toto (and other brands) at good prices on line. However, toilets are not packaged for individual shipping. Therefore, there are many that are broken during shipping. Now, if you inspect the shipping before signing for it, the shipper will have to replace it. Your cost will be nothing, but until all of the back and forth of paper work is completed, you will not have a toilet. Of course, if you accept the shipment without inspecting, it's you tough luck. My best advice is to live within driving distance from Terry and pick up at his home like I do. Well except for the time he was coming within 30 miles of my home and I could just meet him there.

projecttoday

Reaction score
The problem according to the management is that the water pressure is high. I have to abide by their policies. Bottom line is I would get a Caroma if I knew that the risk that the manager warned me about is really slight and I could get some cheap insurance against that risk and of course I would have to get the thing delivered here.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbing code requires the supply pressure be <=80psi. If the pressure exceeds 80psi, THEY should fix it to the complex. If it is within the plumbing code limits, any plumbing device should work well.

FWIW, water pressure changes with the elevation...about 0.43#/foot of elevation change, so say you are 30' higher than where it comes into the building, that would be 30*0.43 or ~13psi less than someone in the basement. This is one reason why in high-rise buildings, they have water tanks up near the top of the building, and maybe on an intermediate level as well, to help keep the pressure adequate in the whole structure.

The fill valve is the device that controls how the tank is refilled...it goes between the incoming water supply in the tank, to filling the tank. A flush valve is the mechanism that lets the water in the tank, into the bowl to flush the toilet. On a gravity fed tank, the pressure is just from the height of the water in the tank, so it doesn't care what the inlet pressure is. A pressure-assisted flush tank may also have an internal pressure reduction valve and only use whatever that lets in, but again, those are not designed for >80psi. They do have some safety margin built in, but why risk it?

projecttoday

Reaction score
So my existing Universal-Rundle is gravity fed? Which tiolets are pressure assisted? What about the Caroma?

I'm going to Home Depot and get a water pressure gauge.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks