Advise on how to repair leaking copper sweat joint

Users who are viewing this thread

ALEKS

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, looking for some advise. We are doing a bath remodel and had to tear out some of the rotted subfloor to replace, while I was checking out joist etc underneath the subfloor I have noticed that one of the sweat joints on a tee fitting is slowly leaking. Please see attached pix. We can remove a section of subfloor right above the leaking joint, so what would be the easiest and most effective way to repair this? There is about 1/4 inch or so between elbow and the tee. Heat it up and disassemble, clean pipes and put a new tee? Though a bit concerned about the elbow being so close...
Would appreciate any advice.
Thanks
AL

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 517

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you cut it out and start over.
It's pretty tough to heat a pipe and take it apart if any water is present.
Any fitting that has leaked, must at the least, be taken apart, cleaned up, fluxed and then soldered.

ALEKS

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply Terry.
Guess I will try to take it apart. This being on the upper floor I should be able to drain most of the water by opening all faucets on the lower level/basement.
Just a bit concerned about that elbow being so close and recessed into the stud...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make shields to help from burning down the house in a spray foam material, and some various other materials. Cutting apart a large tin can can also help. Seriously, have something to help if a spark or excessive heat starts to burn something...your insurance company and everyone involved will be happier...you may not need it, but it sure helps to have it ready if you do!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"easy" is a relative term. It might be "easiest" to cut on both sides of the tee, AND then unsolder the pipe from the elbow. Then put it back together with "slip" repair couplings on either side of the tee.

hboogz

Reaction score
They make shields to help from burning down the house in a spray foam material, and some various other materials. Cutting apart a large tin can can also help. Seriously, have something to help if a spark or excessive heat starts to burn something...your insurance company and everyone involved will be happier...you may not need it, but it sure helps to have it ready if you do!

Would you recommend this version?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_173498-138-31400_0__?productId=1043403