Terribly high water bills, no leaks found…arrrggg!

Users who are viewing this thread

Modrob

Reaction score
Agree on the wayward flapper. They can sometimes hang in mid air for hours and then decide to drop down and seal. Make sure everyone is made aware that the toilet might continue to run after the leave the can.

John
They’ve been monitoring the toilet diligently…no problems at all…

Modrob

Reaction score
I spoke with a “big city” plumbing company in a nearby city today, (they have the equipment to listen underground for any leaks—I’m figuring the water company is going to want a “professional”to examine, test, and give an evaluation ) and the fellow graciously gave me a lot of his time. He was baffled too, and said I have done everything that they would do other than ground listening. They are about 3 weeks out from being able to make a visit here…
I’m monitoring the company’s portal frequently to try and keep up with the measurements they provide. (I believe the most current stats I can get are two days behind)
Attached you’ll see the latest graph I pulled for the 30 days of December…surely you’ll agree that something bad is going on…

Modrob

Reaction score
I’m trying to load up a small file for the graph but it keeps saying “file too large for server”…3.5 mb

Modrob

Reaction score
I’ll do it like this:
Dec 3-5 looks like about 200 gal.
Dec 6 thru Dec 15, all days shot up to between 8000 and 9000 gallons.
Dec 16 thru Dec 24, about 200 gallons.
Dec 25 and 26 about 400 gallons.
Dec 27 thru 30 approx 150 gallons.

Reach4

Reaction score
They’ve done the colored water thing a couple times now—1 period about at least 24 hours. No water left the tank…
No water left in the tank sounds like a leak. Maybe you intended to say something else.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I spoke with a “big city” plumbing company in a nearby city today, (they have the equipment to listen underground for any leaks—I’m figuring the water company is going to want a “professional”to examine, test, and give an evaluation ) and the fellow graciously gave me a lot of his time. He was baffled too, and said I have done everything that they would do other than ground listening. They are about 3 weeks out from being able to make a visit here…

Any water leaking underground that is before the water meter wouldn't be noticed (and not billed) unless there's physical evidence of the leak (like puddles).

Does anyone know if a wayward water meter could cause this???

John

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What has happened on the past is people suspect the meter so much that they discount other theories for a long time and look past something obvious. Then they find out where is coming from and it's not the meter. Possibly something that is interpreting what the meter is measuring, but usually not the meter.

Modrob

Reaction score
What has happened on the past is people suspect the meter so much that they discount other theories for a long time and look past something obvious. Then they find out where is coming from and it's not the meter. Possibly something that is interpreting what the meter is measuring, but usually not the meter.
Yes sir…over the years with so many projects I’ve stumbled through, every-so-often I’d get so entrenched in a particular “cause” but then a little later have a “ah HA!” moment and realize I’d stupidly overlooked something so simple. (I finally learned to laugh at myself )
But in this case, I’ve went through every possible thing I can come up with, and with lots of guidance /confirmations from others. I can’t help but feel this one is the “mother of all possible situations”, like nothing in the world ever came close to it… (of course I’m kidding LOL)

Modrob

Reaction score
Wonder why I still can’t add a small pic of a graph? 3.2 Mb and still getting message “too large for server”…have I done something wrong?

Modrob

Reaction score
I just happened to notice this:
About 10:30am this morning the latest 24hr usage graph showed up on the portal, for the Dec 31 day. The only substantial usage was between noon and 2pm when the girls were getting ready to come to my house for the night. That period showed usage of 2200 gallons! Only one of them took a bath…
I’ve been getting actual meter readings since Sat Dec 30, so shortly I’ll try and use those pics to coincide with this graph…

Reach4

Reaction score
Wonder why I still can’t add a small pic of a graph? 3.2 Mb and still getting message “too large for server”…have I done something wrong?
900 pixels square and 200KB (not MB) maximums.

Try saving in JPG or PNG, after making sure your pixels are not too many.

Modrob

Reaction score
900 pixels square and 200KB (not MB) maximums.

Try saving in JPG or PNG, after making sure your pixels are not too many.
(Apple iPhone) I always use a screen shot, cropped down to just what I want viewed, or a saved photo, cropped down. Hardly ever have an issue with a submission…

Modrob

Reaction score
3624EFCD-1B9B-44E4-AC18-4F44556AFF32.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does that say you used 2300 gallons in one hour period followed by 1300 gallons during the next hour?

Modrob

Reaction score
Does that say you used 2300 gallons in one hour period followed by 1300 gallons during the next hour?
You know, I just thought about that this morning—I’ve been focusing on the highest graph segments but it appears like I would need to add each hour or segment together? I’m about ready to try and call the company for some clarity, but haven’t yet—I’m pretty sure they won’t talk to me since I’m not the account holder. I’be been waiting on my sister to have a day off or time during the week to have a group call with her…

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks