Advice for moving bath spout

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by Tlee2310, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Tlee2310

Tlee2310 New Member

I want to move my bath tub fill spout down 6" since I removed the tub and am putting in a shower pan. My shower manifold to shower head and spout is copper pipping, but supplied by pex. My dilemma is how to move the spout. I can sweat copper pipes decently (by no means a pro) but I have never done it on something connected and close to pex pipes before.

Sharkbite doesn't look like it will work as I have exactly 1" from the current spout to the coupler with that small pipe tee'd off (side question, is that the trap primer?)

I attached a few pics to help show the issue.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You can't run PEX to a tub spout with diverter. The smaller size pushes water up to the shower head. Run full size copper.
    Just pick up a torch, flux and solder and go for it.

Do you even need the tub spout if you using this as a shower? You could cap off the spout if you're only using the shower head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Some people like the tub spout in their shower and use it for several things including a 'toe tester' to get the water just right before opening up the showerhead path, and second, it makes a nice, easy way to fill up a bucket should you want to mop the floor.

Code only requires any spout filler to be above the flood plane, and in this case of a shower, that would be to have the outlet above the top of the shower curb.

5. Tlee2310

Tlee2310 New Member

Yes, my main reason to keep the spout is to fill buckets... or for when I want to just wash sand off my feet.

Thanks for the info.