Adding Utility sink to laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

boostedvr4

Reaction score
Hi, first post here sorry if I don't use the correct format or the images don't upload correctly, I'll try to fix any issues as soon as possible. I've been lurking for a while, and I can't seem to find an exact answer, even though this topic has been discussed several times.
This is my current drain in my laundry room. It's a 2" drain, 2" cleanout, 2" standpipe and 1.5" vent to roof.

boostedvr4-01.jpg

I plan to add a vanity/sink to the right and I am having trouble figuring out how to properly do that so it doesn't get siphoned by the standpipe.

I was wondering if there's any reason why I could not use a double fixture fitting in place of my sanitary tee?

Alternatively, I was planning on putting a second sanitary tee above the one for the standpipe, and teeing off the existing vent above. Here are those illustrations:

boostedvr4-02.jpg

Please let me know if either of these would work without siphoning.
Thank you so much for your help, -Adam

boostedvr4

Reaction score
I am not sure what is going on with the images. I can not view them on my Mac, not sure if anyone else will be able to view them.
Better to upload as attachments here
800 pixels or less
Terry Love

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The sink and the washer get their own vents. Those vents can tie back together at six inches above the highest flood level of the fixtures served.

washer_rough_b.jpg

Venting both the washer and the sink
And below another way of doing it.

index.php

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Try to use JPEG images only. I changed all of my Apple products to jpeg whereas now iPhone uses a different format by default for HD images. I can see your first two posts pictures but in the second one shows three additional IMG errors. I have an iMac.

Last edited:

boostedvr4

Reaction score
Thank you both very much. I tried attaching the images and they were too large, next time I'll shrink them down and do it that way. Thanks again

boostedvr4

Reaction score
Ok I made a revised drawing, taking what was said into consideration. The fitting I made in red, I am unsure if it's supposed to be a sanitary tee, wye, or something else all together?
Also looks like I solved the image issue, thanks for the suggestions.
-Adam

Revised Laundry.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This sink doesn't tie into the vent of the washer. That would be wet venting and the laundry tray doesn't wet vent.
Each fixture will need it's own vent. Meaning you can't dump the sink into the vent for the washer.

boostedvr4

Reaction score
This sink doesn't tie into the vent of the washer. That would be wet venting and the laundry tray doesn't wet vent.
Each fixture will need it's own vent. Meaning you can't dump the sink into the vent for the washer.

I'm struggling to understand what is different from the photo you posted with the black ABS. doesn't the sink go in right above the standpipe in that too? This was the part that confused me in my research.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The idea is that the red fitting would need to connect between the existing san-tee and the existing cleanout.

But you have another issue, which is that the IPC says the minimum drain size for a laundry standpipe and another fixture trap is 3". While you only have 2". So the diagram at the end of Terry's first post, where you only have one fixture trap, is your only code compliant option (for the IPC; the UPC would allow a 2" line, this is a rare case where the IPC is more stringent).

Cheers, Wayne

boostedvr4

Reaction score
The idea is that the red fitting would need to connect between the existing san-tee and the existing cleanout.

But you have another issue, which is that the IPC says the minimum drain size for a laundry standpipe and another fixture trap is 3". While you only have 2". So the diagram at the end of Terry's first post, where you only have one fixture trap, is your only code compliant option (for the IPC; the UPC would allow a 2" line, this is a rare case where the IPC is more stringent).

Cheers, Wayne

Ah alright, I suppose I can make that work. What kind of fitting am I supposed to use on the standpipe? And is there a certain angle/slope that pipe needs to be set at from the laundry tray to the standpipe?

Thanks,
-Adam

boostedvr4

Reaction score
So I've been doing some reading on 802.4.3.1 and it seems like the easiest code compliant solution for me (Thanks again Terry). I can not seem to find the following answers anywhere though...
1. What diameter should the pipe from the sink drain to the stand pipe be?
2. What kind of fitting do I put on the standpipe (I'm assuming it will be a Wye with a 45 degree elbow attached).
3. Do I need any Slope on the horizontal pipe from the sink drain to standpipe? (It will be right about the full allowed 30" length)

My assumptions (and I'm a total noob so likely wrong) are:
2"x 2"x 1.5" Wye on standpipe, 1.5" 45 degree elbow on wye, 1.5" pipe to 1.5" 90 degree elbow at sink drain.

Thanks again for the help, I'm very excited to finally have an idea of what to do.
-Adam

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Probably 1.5
2. Probably santee, because that works better for altitude (sink bottom does not have to be as high as for combo).
3. Yes. 1/4 inch per foot is good, but could be steeper if the sink is high enough.

I am thinking trap adapter into the santee. Then a "direct connect waste arm" under the sink, and a slip joint extension to reach the trap adapter.

Last edited:

boostedvr4

Reaction score
1. Probably 1.5
2. Probably santee, because that works better for altitude (sink bottom does not have to be as high as for combo).
3. Yes. 1/4 inch per foot is good, but could be steeper if the sink is high enough.

I am thinking trap adapter into the santee. Then a "direct connect waste arm" under the sink, and a slip joint extension to reach the trap adapter.
Awesome, thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks