Adding two pedestal sinks on a concrete slab...

Users who are viewing this thread

runningp

Reaction score
Good morning all, I’ve never posted here but from reading and searching for a previous post that relates, seems like a great place to ask for help and thank you in advance for that.

After an accident I am now disabled and need to move my master bed/bath to the first floor of my home. I plan on using the existing bathroom (there will be some renovations) but I have a question before I get an estimate to have the plumbing done.

The bathroom will be bumped out a bit (for rolling room and to spread out the fixtures). This bump out will be into my currently existing sunroom. The sunroom is a concrete slab. The ONLY items that would be located in the sunroom are two pedestal sinks. The furthest sink will be approx 5feet from the existing bathroom floor (and where it could go “down†into the floor, approx 7 feet from the toilet and approx 10 feet from the shower.

Is there a way to run the drains through the walls to reach these destinations (I don’t know how drainage works that is why I listed all those approx measurements).

I will NOT be doing the work but I would like to be as educated as possible before someone comes in and tells me they have to drill into concrete (which I doubt I can afford) and that not really be the case.

Thank you all again for any help and I apologize if I didn’t give some info needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are too many "unknowns" for us to answer without actually seeing the situation. "as educated as possible" implies that you think you will be able to tell the plumber HOW you want it installed, and that seldom works. Just tell him WHERE the walls will be and HE will decide whether it can be run in the walls or in the floor. The distance from the shower and toilet usually has nothing to do with the sink's installation.

runningp

Reaction score
HJ, Sorry I could not provide the amount of information you felt was needed for the answer Terry gave.

Thank you I will begin my search for a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The drain lines from the sink(s) need to slope down at a minimum of 1/4" per foot and it needs a vent line, but other than that, there is no requirement to run anything into the ground (slab) in that general area. But, whether it will be easy or not depends on how things are built; and, as Terry indicated, whether the walls are load bearing or not. You can't drill a larger hole to run a drain line through them and expect them to hold much up. Without seeing it, there could be lots of gotchas.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Terry gave a "general" answer, but it may not apply to your bathroom. Even If you "can" run the drain lines in the wall, it may NOT be the best, or even proper, way for your situation, and only a plumber at YOUR house can decide which Is the best way to install the piping The only way you could give enough information to answer your question would be to provide a drawing of your existing room and plumbing system and one showing where the new sinks will go..

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks