Adding mosquito repellant into sprinkler system help plz

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by tduke, Nov 1, 2017.

1. tduke

tduke New Member

Hi there,

I have a Lawn Genie system which runs on Rain Dial timer (see attached). I have lots of mosquitos (I believe due to the sprinklers system) and I'd like to add some Pest Repellant into the irrigation system so that it is applied to the lawn every time the sprinklers water the garden/grass.. How may I go about applying the liquid into the sprinkler system?

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I hope you have a good back flow preventer on that system.
    I wouldn't want my neighbors injecting something like that into my water supply.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    NO NO NO, pesticides can never be sprayed by any irrigation system. The web site referenced is for all natural products. Garlic will not kill mosquitoes. You're asking for trouble should someone get in contact with the chemical or inhale it. If you read the labels on any herbicides or pesticides, it will state not to be used with irrigation systems. They can be sprayed with the proper spraying equipment and calibrations. If you ever take a certification class for a limited pesticide/herbicide licence, as I have, it is taught on how to read labels and calibrate equipment.

Mosquitoes breed in standing water (storm drain is one place). If your irrigation system is causing puddling then you're watering too often or too long. Cut back on the watering or turn it off completely. If you should run the irrigation system to just keep the grass from getting too dry, I doubt your irrigation it is the cause for your mosquitoes problem.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  6. Magna111

Magna111 New Member

Around here, those valves were commonly used in lieu of backflow preventers.

7. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

"I'd like to add some Pest Repellant into the irrigation system so that it is applied to the lawn every time the sprinklers water the garden/grass."

Don't do that.

To eliminate mosquitoes,
    1. get rid of any little swamp of water, which are the breeding pools for them.
    2. use a hand held pump sprayer with the right mix of pesticide.
    3. For lawns, use repellents you spread on top of the lawn. Follow the instructions on the label.
    4. or call a pest control company.

8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    IF they use those valves, and want to use a 'injector' they would need a system for EVERY zone after the valves.