Adapter for female end of meter connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Iuka Gary

Reaction score
I want to adapt my pressure gauge to the female lower end of the house side of my gas meter adapter, sometimes called the swivel adapter, but mine is straight. As you know, it has sort of a female union connection but with a rubber gasket. I tried fitting the male side of a black iron union connector and it seemed to fit perfect but would only screw partially in - seems the threads were a tad different. I found this: sku 0423702 Wal-rich from SupplyHouse.com (easy to find searching 0423702 Wal-rich) and I was hoping someone could tell me if this is what I'm after. Thanks!

Iuka Gary

Reaction score
Iron pipe threads and union threads are different.
Howdy Terry. Yes... you may have misunderstood. The connector that goes directly to the gas meter outlet is a union type connection with a gasket. I'm sorry I don't know the exact terminology, but it has a female slip nut that traps the washer against the end of the male threads at the gas meter. The male half of the proper size black iron union connector "almost fits" perfectly- it screws in partially. I wasn't aware that the union threads -in the middle- were tapered. Regardless... any chance you could look at that product I mentioned and tell me if you believe that it would fit onto the female end of the gas meter swivel connector, you know, the end with the slip nut and washer that normally connects directly to the meter?
Here's the direct link: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wal-ric...MIvrG-lKul3gIVhuDICh3DvgEAEAQYAyABEgLKEvD_BwE
It sure seems expensive.
Thanks a bunch.... in advance.

Last edited:

Iuka Gary

Reaction score
meter_connection.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
what part of "pipe threads and union threads are DIFFERENT" don't you understand. They are made different specifically so you cannot do what you are trying to do. The thread pitches are different which is why they bind after a couple of turns. You may be able to "force them" at the expense of damaging one side, or the other, or possibly both of them.

Iuka Gary

Reaction score
what part of "pipe threads and union threads are DIFFERENT" don't you understand.
Wow... not only are you rude but you apparently can't read or understand pictures.
I was comparing the internal non-tapered, male side threads of a black iron union connector with the female slip nut of a gas meter swivel connector - NOT WITH TAPERED BLACK IRON PIPE THREADS. I know that none of my threads in question are tapered as they rely on compression of the mated surfaces - the gas swivel adds a rubber washer. In addition, I was hoping someone might look at that part I found at SupplyHouse - a professional who knows the names of parts well and is kind enough to take a quick look. But... thanks for nothing. As you are a moderator, I'm sure I need to head elsewhere for future tips or advice. Please delete my account.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
EVERY union thread is proprietary. They are NOT "interchangeable". In addition, the pipe union is a ground joint seal, NOT a gasketed one, so it would not work anyway. as for being rude. Remember the farmer who said his mule was the most obedient one he had ever had. When someone came back and said it was stubborn, the farmer took a 2x4 and hit the mule in the head. He said, "First you have to get its attention". I was trying to get your attention.

Iuka Gary

Reaction score
Getting my attention? That doesn't even make sense. Your answer had nothing to do with my question. And instead of admitting you were rude, you compare me to a mule that you feel you need to hit with a 2x4 because... what...? I can't appreciate your rude response which had nothing to do with my question? And my primary question regarding the use of the connector from SupplyHouse was never addressed. You really should respond to people as if they are standing in front of you. You might not be such a tough guy. You think a story about hitting an animal with a 2x4 is funny? You are sick.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks