A/C condensation drip spout = soggy ground

Users who are viewing this thread

djryval

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for what to do about the A/C condensation drip on the side of my house? Our lot is relatively flat so it just creates about a 4 ft soggy area next to the foundation. With the summer time temps, it's been wet almost every day (I have the a/c set on 78 degrees all day). You can press your foot on the ground and squeeze water up just about anywhere in the vicinity of the drip spout (about a 4 to 5 foot area). There's not enough slope for it to run off, and the grass is just not enough to dry it out. We are on a concrete slab foundation but I don't want the constant wet ground to eventually cause a problem where the A/C drain line drips. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You could put a downspout splashblock on the ground. That would carry it about 20" out. If the ground doesn't have enough slope to deal with that, it must be a mess when it rains!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Run it to a condensate pump, then pump it to a drain...the washing machine drain is a common location. A condensate pump has a small resorvoir and a float trip switch...once it fills the resorvoir, the pump comes on and pumps it away. Some pumps have an overflow switch that will shut off the low-voltage control so, if the pump dies, you don't get condensate all over when the a/c (or condensing furnace, or whatever) still runs. www.littlegiant.com is one manufacturer, and has a big line of various sized pumps for this application.

djryval

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I might try the splashblock first as it seems to be the cheapest and quickest fix. Does anyone know where you can by a thinner splashblock? All I've seen is those made for the gutters, and they are quite large considering the pvc downpipe is only about a 1" diameter pipe. I just need something flexible in somewhat of a "V" shape to channel the water out into the yard some. Preferably green (or I guess I could paint it) to match the grass and not be an eyesore.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
just a thought...

I have a client that has a device that, (at the air handler that’s in her garage) catches the water, and then evaporates it without a drain line needed. You would have to hook it up to (I think it’s) 120 volts.
If you need info on that device, let me know, and I'll find out who mekes it etc. You could also dig a trench and extend that PVC out farther away from the house, and then (if it's lower then the drain on the air handler) bring the end back up above ground level. You will have to install a screen on the end to get bugs and debris out of it.

Mike

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
Why not a small drywell at the end of an underground pipe? Then you can pipe it away from the house and underground. Or use a slotted pipe w/ a drywell at the end and spread it out more

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a client that has a device that, (at the air handler that’s in her garage) catches the water, and then evaporates it without a drain line needed. You would have to hook it up to (I think it’s) 120 volts.
If you need info on that device, let me know, and I'll find out who mekes it etc. You could also dig a trench and extend that PVC out farther away from the house, and then (if it's lower then the drain on the air handler) bring the end back up above ground level. You will have to install a screen on the end to get bugs and debris out of it.

Mike

The reason I mentioned to bring it back up above ground level is so you can always look over and see that the drain line is working, and is not plugged up, (like at the air handler unit). I don’t know if you have a back up drain pan, (with a secondary drain line) but even if you only have one drain line, you need to make sure, visually, that the drain line is working properly.

Mike

Nate R

Reaction score
The reason I mentioned to bring it back up above ground level is so you can always look over and see that the drain line is working, and is not plugged up, (like at the air handler unit). I don’t know if you have a back up drain pan, (with a secondary drain line) but even if you only have one drain line, you need to make sure, visually, that the drain line is working properly.

Mike

The way I've seen that done w/ gutters that go below ground is to leave a hole or gap in the pipe before they go below ground level. If you get water coming out of said hole, you know it's clogged beyond that. Just another method.

djryval

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I am still reviewing my options, can't decide between extending the pipe or making a drywell with a few bags of rocks. I contacted the builder since the house is only a year old and they looked at the ground with me and said it's not a warrantable item. They also suggested hole with rocks.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for what to do about the A/C condensation drip on the side of my house? Our lot is relatively flat so it just creates about a 4 ft soggy area next to the foundation. With the summer time temps, it's been wet almost every day (I have the a/c set on 78 degrees all day). You can press your foot on the ground and squeeze water up just about anywhere in the vicinity of the drip spout (about a 4 to 5 foot area). There's not enough slope for it to run off, and the grass is just not enough to dry it out. We are on a concrete slab foundation but I don't want the constant wet ground to eventually cause a problem where the A/C drain line drips. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure where you live but the IBC requires a grade around the house 6" drop for ten feet or another alternative to keep water from ponding near the house. Other Codes are probably the same. So your builder is FOS and it is a warranty item. That being said through the solution is easier than dealing with him.

I had a similar issue for two units but the pipes discharged further from the house. I extended them with a 4" downspout leader buried under the lawn for another 15 feet or so and that discharges next to a peach tree.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks