20ft well, jet pump, water turns muddy at low pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Allensokos

Reaction score
I've been having issues with my pressure switch and noticed when my water pressure gets low my water starts pumping mud, goes away when the pump runs and builds pressure. Was playing around turning off the breaker and draining all of the water out of the lines and running again, this is what my water looks like when that happens. The mud smells like some old persons rotten teeth. It clears up after I run the pump and let things settle overnight.
20210901-175503.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You don't say what you have for a pump and what causes the pressure to be low. Pumps run on a curve meaning they pump more GPM at lower pressure. Some wells have a sediment problem when pumping them at higher GPM. You might need to limit the GPM with a dole valve.

Allensokos

Reaction score
It's an old utilitech 1hp jet pump. A bad pressure switch is the culprit. Smacking it a few times frees up the spring. I don't pump dirty water when the pump is running only when it's off. So basically if I shutoff the breaker and open a faucet my water turns dirtier and dirtier until it's pure mud then cleans up as I turn the pump back on. I have a new pump to replace this one since it's really noisy and I bought a new pressure tank incase the mud was inside the tank. Haven't installed them yet I've been working every day of the week this week. I was just curious on everyone's 2 cents on how there's mud coming out when the pressure gets low. I also don't have any filters on the house so that's looking like an option I need to look into

Fitter30

Reaction score
Might need a storage tank, limit jet pump pumping time to keep from running well dry and add a pump from storage tank to faucets.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A pressure tank with a busted diaphragm can spew out cruddy water that was on the wrong side of the diaphragm. Turn off the pump drain the tank, and check the air precharge.

Allensokos

Reaction score
Do you have a 2-inch casing or what?
I just bought the house and haven't inspected the well at all, not sure what I have but I assumed my well was 20ft but now I did a little research and I have a 2 line well pump so it's probably deeper than I assumed, I know it's hard to access the well since they covered over half the cover with an addition for the house.

Reach4

Reaction score
In retrospect, I may have been looking at this wrong.

You might want flush your pressure tank periodically. You could also add a cartridge filter to remove what makes it through. There are washable 20x4.5 cartridges that can be reused.

A backwashing sediment filter would take maybe 7 to 10 gpm to backwash. I don't know that your system could produce that.

A new good well (my guess of above $10,000) with good fine gravel to filter out silt, could be a worthwhile investment. If not totally against that, ask a local driller or two for what a typical well costs in your area.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Mud settles in the tank and will come out at low pressure with the pump off. Bad tank causes more pump cycles, which is bad for the pump and can stir up sediment in the well. Pump the well out clean, replace the tank, and eliminate the cycling with a Cycle Stop Valve while you are at it.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A while back, Cary and I participated in a similar thread where I thought sediment was coming up from the well but Cary surmised that it all came from the other side of a busted diaphragm. I'm not too proud to admit I was wrong and Cary was right. Before you start messing with the well, check for a bad tank.

Allensokos

Reaction score
I swapped out the pump and pressure tank this weekend, what a nightmare pvc lines were breaking everywhere. There was a lot of mud coming out of the pressure tank so I think that was my issue. This forms a new question. I noticed my water lines have a layer of mud inside them, is there any way to clean up the lines without replacing them?

Reach4

Reaction score
I swapped out the pump and pressure tank this weekend, what a nightmare pvc lines were breaking everywhere. There was a lot of mud coming out of the pressure tank so I think that was my issue. This forms a new question. I noticed my water lines have a layer of mud inside them, is there any way to clean up the lines without replacing them?
The lines? In the well, on the way to the pressure tank, after the pressure tank?

You might be more specific about what you are trying to do and what you are willing to do. Did the previous suggestions mean anything to you? Care to answer the question from #6?

How long had that pressure tank been in service?

Allensokos

Reaction score
The lines? In the well, on the way to the pressure tank, after the pressure tank?

You might be more specific about what you are trying to do and what you are willing to do. Did the previous suggestions mean anything to you? Care to answer the question from #6?

How long had that pressure tank been in service?
The old pressure tank has been in service since 1991, just swapped a new one in this weekend. And my question is on the pvc lines inside the house sorry for the mixup. And I thought I've answered any questions have been asked I don't know everything I have I'm just an amateur 22 year old with little plumbing experience, everyone's guesses were the pressure tank which I replaced and seem to have fixed the dirt at low pressures. It seems though that the damage has been done in my lines and there's a slimy film of dirt in all the interior lines after the pump, same with before the pump but I'm assuming that's not to worry about. I'm going to be putting on some filters when I get paid, but the filters won't remove what's already past them.

Reach4

Reaction score
And I thought I've answered any questions have been asked I don't know everything
Casing diameter? What is it you don't know-- how to measure the casing diameter, or why that might matter?

A. To clean existing pipes, you could use a pump to pump cleaning solution thru the pipes, thru a cartridge filter and back into the the pipes. Cleaning solution? Dunno... does that matter at this point?

B. Filtering out future sediment-- I would use a cartridge filter, with a means to bypass a clogged filter, or at least keep an extra o-ring on hand.

C. Precharged Pressure tank flush (Maybe annually, but you might try more frequently):
1. Connect a hose to the sediment drain valve, and run that to where you plan to drain the water. I suggest filtering the output through a cloth if you suspect the sediment may include sand.
2. Turn off the pump.
3. Open the drain valve, and let it drain until the water stops. It would be possibly interesting to watch the first water that comes out.
4. Close the valve, and turn the pump back on, and let pressure build.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 a time or two.

Check air precharge annually is the usual suggestion. Air precharge is always done with water pressure zero. Combining that check with the flush makes sense.

Last edited:

Allensokos

Reaction score
I can't access the top of my well but the rubber lines Coming in are 2", Am I safe to assume the casing is the same size as the rubber lines? Thank you for the really good advice I think I'm gonna put a tap line in where I can hook up a pump before my filters and run vinegar through my lines I think that would clean them out pretty well. I'll start picking up supplies Wednesday would you recommend a 3 stage filter or just a single sediment filter? I don't plan on drinking the water I just want clean water with no smell.

Reach4

Reaction score
Am I safe to assume the casing is the same size as the rubber lines?
No.
Vinegar seems worth a try, but I might be thinking of phases including some dish soap in early phases.
would you recommend a 3 stage filter or just a single sediment filter?
Single stage, but I would lean toward one with a 20x4.5 cartridge. Lots of choices available. Some are washable.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You can try using compressed air mixed with water to clear out the lines assuming you have a decent compressor. Get a winterize blowout plug and connect it to the drain valve at the pressure tank. With water in the tank and the pump running introduce spurts of air into the water stream. You can also use the blowout plug at the washing machine hookup and the water heater drain valve.

Make sure to take off the faucet aerators and drape a washcloth over the faucet as it will spurt all over otherwise.
22-19-13-08.png

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is hard to get mud out of the lines. Blowing with air as described is probably best. You should try to pump the well clean, as pumping mud is the problem. Pumping at high volume and low pressure is best, and sometimes takes hours or days to get the well clean.

Allensokos

Reaction score
I've been running my pump for over an hour now, the water got really bad for about ten minutes and now it's less bad but still dirty. Do I keep running it until it's clear or do I get it relatively clean and let things settle?

Attachments

• 20211128_131039.jpg
    20211128_131039.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 117

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Rather than drawing water at the tub, try an outside hose bib or two that bypasses most of the house plumbing, As Cary said, it sometimes takes hours or days to get the well clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks