1930's era Standard toilets

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Jeffrey Starai, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Jeffrey Starai

Jeffrey Starai New Member

So, I work for Bok Tower Gardens in lake Wales, Florida. We have several ancient buildings. We have 1930's era toilets in some of them. We want to keep them the same as they were in the 1930's. I have one in the tower and one in the estate ( Pinewood estate), that have the same issue. They constantly run. I have replaced the fill valves, but the plungers? Leak. I have pictures of these toilets. I have scoured the internet looking for info about these units, but have come up empty. Again, we want to keep them the same way they were in 1931 ( the date Pinewood was completed). The problem is the plunger??? That shuts the water off. I've replaced the fill valves. In the pictures you'll see the piece in the middle. How do I remove this? It does not budge. I assume it is threaded on. But, it does not budge. I cannot find any info about this at all. The only markings I can find say Standard. Even if I can remove it, where can I find replacement parts. Please Obi wan, please help me! I now have two toilets with the same problem. On a side note, after all this time I only have problems with 2 toilets is a testament to the way things used to be made. I seriously don't know where else to turn. I'm most definitely not a plumber. Please help!!!

IMG_20210407_110705.jpg

IMG_20210407_110719.jpg

IMG_20210407_110730.jpg

Reach4 likes this.
  2. Marlinman

Marlinman In the Trades

Your flush valve is made by the Curtin valve co. This model has been discontinued and can be replaced by a Wolverine 55135 brass flush valve. When you remove the original Curtain valve you can try to disassemble by unscrewing the copper "Can" from the base. If it screws apart you can look at the bottom of it to see a leather disc. The original is NLA but can be replaced with American Standard 15-3700 and trim to fit.

[​IMG]

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  4. Jeffrey Starai

Jeffrey Starai New Member

Thank you! I'll give it a try.

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    These look to be Curtin valves. I saw these today on a site. I have not worked on one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let my rotate this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marlinman likes this.