TOTO fill valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob33

Reaction score
I have 2 drake toilets; the elongated one has a green Gmax Toto fill valve that has the hose going over to the overfill tube. The smaller drake toilet has a gray Toto fill valve that does not have the hose going to the overfill tube. Is there a reason the gray one doesn't need the hose to work?
Also, if I replace the gray one with a Korky 528T blue fill valve, do I have to use the hose to make it work?

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I have 2 drake toilets; the elongated one has a green Gmax Toto fill valve that has the hose going over to the overfill tube. The smaller drake toilet has a gray Toto fill valve that does not have the hose going to the overfill tube. Is there a reason the gray one doesn't need the hose to work?
Also, if I replace the gray one with a Korky 528T blue fill valve, do I have to use the hose to make it work?

If both are indeed Drakes, they both need the refill tube to run to the top of the overflow riser. Without it, you don't start the flush with enough water in the bowl, so it will not flush as well as some of the "flush" water would have to go to filling the bowl and starting the siphon. Assuming that both are set up more or less like this in the tank.

You only use a 528T on a 1.6gpf Gmax toilet. On a 1.28gpf Drake (CST744ES, for example), it will overfill the bowl. That you have a green fill valve suggests that at least one of your Drakes is the 1.28gpf model.

You want the Korky 528MP (528MPK on the Lowe's web site) Maxperformance fill valve. This one, with the silver cap. http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=32 The reason you want this one is that the refill percentage is adjustable. On the 1.6gpf Drake, to fill the bowl uses a fill valve set to 40% refill ratio. (Refill ratio is the percent of water coming out of the wall that goes to refill the bowl [through that refill hose] as opposed to filling the tank.) On the 1.28gpf Drake, the proper refill ratio is about 28%. This valve will work in either one, or any other Toto toilet, because you will quickly learn to set the refill ratio to the proper amount. There is a video on how to install it at:

Come back with any other questions.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score

If you want a genuine TOTO Fill valve, I recommend go to https://www.totostore.us.com/Default.aspx that is a website owned by TOTO that sells genuine TOTO parts. Best website to go and the 528 MP sucks. It's loud and it doesn't fill as quickly as the real TOTO fill valves. We installed the blue cap korky (528T) in 2 of our toilets and they are no where near as good as the stock TOTO fill valve in the basement. I hope this helps and I love our TOTO toilets. Great flush and they never clog.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you want a genuine TOTO Fill valve, I recommend go to https://www.totostore.us.com/Default.aspx that is a website owned by TOTO that sells genuine TOTO parts. Best website to go and the 528 MP sucks. It's loud and it doesn't fill as quickly as the real TOTO fill valves. We installed the blue cap korky (528T) in 2 of our toilets and they are no where near as good as the stock TOTO fill valve in the basement. I hope this helps and I love our TOTO toilets. Great flush and they never clog.

Where to begin. Korky actually makes fill valves for Toto, but maybe the so-called "stock" Toto fill valve Stewart is referring to is the Chinese one that they also use. That's a Toto design manufactured in China. They have revised that valve a bunch, presumably to improve it as it has had issues from the start, although I imagine that it is inexpensive enough that they can afford to just replace them under warranty when they crap out. After they first introduced that "Voreto" valve, they very quickly reversed themselves and went back exclusively to Korky 528s that Korky made for them with various color caps embossed Toto. Then they rolled it out again, and used it almost-exclusively for a while; now they do some of one and some of the other.

Toto did do one thing that I am convinced they did as a result of following Terry's lead. Terry had long been recommending the 528MP as a replacement for all Toto toilets. Now, Toto no longer sells those Voreto valves as replacements. They had been stocking probably 20 different models set with the appropriate refill ratios for various of their toilets. Instead, they had Korky produce a single Universal Toto Replacement Fill Valve, model TSU99A.X, which is essentially-identical to the 528MP, in that it has the same variable refill adjuster. They did take it one step further in that it comes with a chart showing exactly how many pegs high to set it for every Toto toilet, and it also comes with a little device that will precisely set the refill adjuster according to a chart for each toilet. It may be a peg or two higher at its maximum extension (which you don't need). Otherwise, it's a 528MP.

We have the 528 in various flavors in all seven of the toilets in our home, and are very satisfied with it. It fills quietly, shuts off quietly, doesn't create water hammer. And it's easily-repairable without having to remove the valve body from the toilet. So for us it's great.

And for what it's worth, the 528T is indeed a "real Toto fill valve". It's exactly the same as the one that comes in Toto's GMax toilets (set at a 40% refill ratio, with no possibility of adjustment); it just goes into a different box when it goes to your local store. It is considered an "official OEM part", which is why it has the Toto logo on it. However, its days may be numbered because the 528MP can do everything it can do, and is useable in many more toilets, so there is no real reason to sell it separately.

Last edited:

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Where to begin. Korky actually makes fill valves for Toto, but maybe the so-called "stock" Toto fill valve Stewart is referring to is the Chinese one that they also use. That's a Toto design manufactured in China. They have revised that valve a bunch, presumably to improve it as it has had issues from the start, although I imagine that it is inexpensive enough that they can afford to just replace them under warranty when they crap out. After they first introduced that "Voreto" valve, they very quickly reversed themselves and went back exclusively to Korky 528s that Korky made for them with various color caps embossed Toto. Then they rolled it out again, and used it almost-exclusively for a while; now they do some of one and some of the other.

Toto did do one thing that I am convinced they did as a result of following Terry's lead. Terry had long been recommending the 528MP as a replacement for all Toto toilets. Now, Toto no longer sells those Voreto valves as replacements. They had been stocking probably 20 different models set with the appropriate refill ratios for various of their toilets. Instead, they had Korky produce a single Universal Toto Replacement Fill Valve, model TSU99A.X, which is essentially-identical to the 528MP, in that it has the same variable refill adjuster. They did take it one step further in that it comes with a chart showing exactly how many pegs high to set it for every Toto toilet, and it also comes with a little device that will precisely set the refill adjuster according to a chart for each toilet. It may be a peg or two higher at its maximum extension (which you don't need). Otherwise, it's a 528MP.

We have the 528 in various flavors in all seven of the toilets in our home, and are very satisfied with it. It fills quietly, shuts off quietly, doesn't create water hammer. And it's easily-repairable without having to remove the valve body from the toilet. So for us it's great.

And for what it's worth, the 528T is indeed a "real Toto fill valve". It's exactly the same as the one that comes in Toto's GMax toilets (set at a 40% refill ratio, with no possibility of adjustment); it just goes into a different box when it goes to your local store. It is considered an "official OEM part", which is why it has the Toto logo on it. However, its days may be numbered because the 528MP can do everything it can do, and is useable in many more toilets, so there is no real reason to sell it separately.

I do not think the 528T is a real TOTO valve. It doesnt sound like one and it fills no where near as fast as the real TOTO valve.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I do not think the 528T is a real TOTO valve. It doesnt sound like one and it fills no where near as fast as the real TOTO valve.

Okay, but facts are facts. Korky calls it an "authorized replacement". http://korky.com/FillValve528T.html

Here's a picture of one sitting in the tank of my toilet just the way the tank came out of the box from Toto:

Here's a picture of one from your favorite Toto Store (TSU22A.11):
TSU22A.11_l.JPG

Korky also makes the TSU99A.X for Toto, which is basically a 528MP with a blue cap that says "Toto".

Here's a picture of the TSU99A.X, also from your favorite Toto Store:
TSU99A.X_l.jpg

Here's a link to the Toto Sales Bulletin announcing the TSU99A.X Universal Replacement Fill Valve: http://western-sales.com/mpu/aug12mpu/PB#12-11 New Universal Fill Valve.pdf Note the photo on the Sales Bulletin. It's a 528. It's made by Korky. Note that the box in the photo says "Genuine Toto" on it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
While we are at it. How about these.

korky_528mp_pro.jpg

Korky 528MP PRO
I picked up a case of these the other day. They sure work great for me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On the Toto OEM valves made by Korky, they get a customized flow restrictor to ensure both the bowl and the tank get refilled at the same time. On the replacement valves, they use a variable restrictor to 'customize' it to the required ratios. In the end, they should be refilling the tank at about the same time.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
On the Toto OEM valves made by Korky, they get a customized flow restrictor to ensure both the bowl and the tank get refilled at the same time. On the replacement valves, they use a variable restrictor to 'customize' it to the required ratios. In the end, they should be refilling the tank at about the same time.

Does the new TOTO TSU99A fill as quickly as the original TOTO Gmax fill valves do? I have seen a few websites that say for mercer toilet but what is the difference if they are all gmax?

GeorgeCT

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Looks very interesting. How faster can these fill compared to a 528 MP?

This does look cool. I like the fact that it's "Designed to withstand high pressure"

I have the original MaxPERFORMANCE which works great.

I can't seem to find anyone selling this version of the Pro Grade anywhere online yet though.

korky_528mp_pro.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We like to have our own stuff to sell. You can always get the public version with the gray cap on it.

Yep. Or he can go shop at the kind of places that service pros, like a Grainger. Won't be a great price to just a guy off the street, but they will have it.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; How faster can these fill compared to a 528 MP?

Interesting question, because when Kohler installs Fluidmaster fill valves in their toilets, the insert a "flow restrictor", (which often gets plugged up), in the bottom to "slow down" the fill rate and make it quieter. A lot of manufacturers make, "only for professional" versions of their products, (Kohler was one of the original "only to contractors" companies), and it usually takes a couple of months before HD and the other big box stores are selling them, when they discover they can sell a lot more through the big boxes, even if they have to sell them cheaper than to the legitimate trade routes.

Toto and Kohler both have toilets which do NOT have a refill tube on the fill valve. The rely on "fall back water" and the last water out of the tank to restore the water level in the bowl.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quote;
Toto and Kohler both have toilets which do NOT have a refill tube on the fill valve. The rely on "fall back water" and the last water out of the tank to restore the water level in the bowl.

hj, TOTO has some low end toilets that are like that. The CST703 to CST724 series. If those are the TOTO products you have seen, you've seen the worst.
I won't sell those models. Those are their low end "wash down" bowls.

loisp

Reaction score
Starwars 88 had the same problem I have. My issue is two Toto Drake "insulated" toilets CST743SD and CST744SD (color difference). In this website, I finally saw a "green" cap for the fill valve which is what I have. It is stamped 330. This toilet the CST744 (elongated) is not even YEAR OLD! Its a summer house, shut down for the winter and just yesterday the water was turned on. The green cap started spraying all over. There is an adjustable know with a slot for + or - water fill..So after reading all the blogs about which valve to get...I"m confused between the Korky Max Performance 528T for 1.6 (both toilets are 1.6) and the 528MP. The flapper over the discharge hole seems to be fine and its in white. Also, I see that the THU175S flapper valve is discontinued already.

Can you verify which fill valve I need...Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SD tanks are 1.6 gallons
The Korky 528T, Korky 528 PRO or the Korky 528MP,
Any of these will work.
And there are several Korky 3" flappers that work, including the Fluidmaster 3" adjustable.

drake-tank-inside.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto uses several suppliers, it appears that the one you have is not one made for them by Korky. If it is only a year old, call them, and they'll probably send you a new one. The one made for them by Korky looks like this:
Toto fill valve.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks